Nothing is ever easy -headphone confusion
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Phishin Phool

500+ Head-Fier
So I went to look at some beyerdynamic the other night and I prefer open so I was interested in the 990's but as it turns out they did not have any 99O in stock, they only have the 770's and so I listen to those and while very good they are just a tad bass heavy but being closed I expect that.The clerk tells me they can order the 990s for the exact same price and if I don't like them I can return them and have the 770's. I think all is well and good till I realize the770's were the 80 ohm version and the 990 pro's only come 250ohm so am I correct to assume the tablet and galaxy s3 phone that actually powered the 770s quite well are going to epic fail to power 250ohm cans?

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 3
So I went to look at some beyerdynamic the other night and I prefer open so I was interested in the 990's but as it turns out they did not have any 99O in stock, they only have the 770's and so I listen to those and while very good they are just a tad bass heavy but being closed I expect that.The clerk tells me they can order the 990s for the exact same price and if I don't like them I can return them and have the 770's. I think all is well and good till I realize the770's were the 80 ohm version and the 990 pro's only come 250ohm so am I correct to assume the tablet and galaxy s3 phone that actually powered the 770s quite well are going to epic fail to power 250ohm cans?

Heya,

1. The DT990 is frankly bassier than the DT770.

2. The devices you used are not going to "epic fail" to power the 250ohm headphone, it's surprisingly efficient despite that rating. But, it will not drive them very well and so the volume will be very limited even when maxed, and it's control of lower frequencies will be muddy or lack dynamics because of the lack of power. A little amplifier would be good here. But again, see bullet 1.

Very best,

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 3
I don't care about the bass nearly as much as the soundstage and imaging, will the 990 excel there over the 770 in you opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back