Note 9 and shure 846
Feb 22, 2019 at 11:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

joseph0042

New Head-Fier
Debating getting a pair of shure 846 to go with my note 9. I'm not sure if the note 9 dac/amp will provide enough to the 846 though. Anyone have any experience with this or can recommend a good portable dac/amp if not?

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 7
Debating getting a pair of shure 846 to go with my note 9. I'm not sure if the note 9 dac/amp will provide enough to the 846 though. Anyone have any experience with this or can recommend a good portable dac/amp if not?

I wouldn't worry about power given its very high sensitivity, but that high sensitivity paired with very low impedance bordering on speaker impedance might make noise out of the smartphone's audio chip more audible, kind of like the higher sensitivity but at least also much higher impedance SE535.

Feb 22, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 7
I would say the note9 can definitely give them enough juice, but the audio quality out of the note9's headphone jack isn't that great (I have a note9 and hate using it to listen to music). I would recommend a portable dac-amp to improve the audio quality and eliminate noise. Something like the Chord Mojo, Audiolab M-Dac Nano, or Audioquest Dragonfly. I know it means you will have to carry another cable and a thing in your pocket with your phone, but it really fixes the crappy sound of the note9.

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 7
I agree with poster above ^ i have a Note 9 also, and i didnt enjoy my time having to use that in between DAP purchases as my only portable music solution. i'm so happy i have a dedicated DAP now. :)

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 7
SE846 doesn't need huge amount of power but the noise is the issue. I faced similar issue and finally i opted for a DAP. Dragonfly Red is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back