Not-too-leaky headphones in the $150 range
Aug 13, 2004 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rcgrant

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones to replace my HD280s for home and office listening. Now, the HD280s are obviously "not-too-leaky", but I think I can do better on the sound and I don't like the way they fit; they're barely tolerable when I'm wearing glasses.

I want something that will be good for listening to mostly progressive rock/metal and ambient techno on either my iPod or my Powerbook, and will not be bothersome to people in the same room at reasonable volumes. I tried SR-60s and SR-80s a couple of times and subsequently ruled them out.

Considerations include:
Sennheiser HD 555
Audio-Technica ATH-A500
AKG K 501

I'm leaning towards the 555s because I have a generally good impression of Sennheisers in terms of sound and comfort (with the exception of the 280s.) I would also prefer circumaural headphones to canalphones.

Recommendations?

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 5
out of that trio i think only the A500 is fully closed, so no leakage. It's about 100 bucks at audiocubes so it's in your budget. Enjoy! and sorry about your wallet!

Aug 13, 2004 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 5
You might want to read saint.panda's excellent review of the Sennheiser HD-25-1 in the Featured Reviews section. This seems like it would fit your bill quite nicely. I personally have a pair coming to me next week, so I will be able to give my own analysis of their sound soon enough.

- Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back