Not-too-expensive MP3 closed headphones
Nov 4, 2009 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

welicious

New Head-Fier
Hi all, hifi newbie here
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm about to buy a sony x1060, and i want to pair it with decent and comfortable headphones. As it comes with a pretty good sony earphones, and i already have a pair of shure e2c, now i want a pair of full sized, circumaural, closed back ones.

I've loooooong music sessions, mostly while working and that's about 8-12 hours a day, and i wear glasses, so comfort is a critical point here. I listen metal, rock, classical... Almost everything that falls into my hands, except electronical and such dance things, so i need something that works well in enough situations. Obviously, unamped
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm european and my budget is about, say, 60-70 euros (50-60 pounds, not sure how much in dollars), but i can spend a couple of bucks more, i think. As for now, i put my eye in Sennheiser HD4xx series, Shure srh440 and some Denon. I saw a pretty good Audio-Technica, but are difficult to find in my country.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 9
OK since nobody's answered your post I will...

I have not heard any of these headphones, but head-fiers always suggest:

Denon AH-D1001
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH-440
Sony MDR-V6

for ~$100 closed headphones. Use the search function here, you should find out plenty about thes models. They all come terminated with a mini plug and don't need an amp.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I received my Shure SRH440's yesterday. They are fantastic. Burning in as i type. I also wear glasses and find the headphones comfortable.
The bass is tight and not over powering, not as much bass as my in ear Denon C551's though. After burning in they may produce a bit more. The mids and highs seem spot on in my opinion.
They are quite a bulky pair of phones. They do fold up and can be packed into the supplied carry bag. My only dislike is the cable. It is one sided which i like but is coiled and heavy. I would prefer a straight cable.
Hope this helps

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 9
These are good suggestions. I've got all these except the Shures. I would leave the Sony V6 off the list. They are not bad, but the Denons, ATs (and most likely the Shures) are better.

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I had the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 for several months, and I can easily say they're highly underrated. They are slightly out of your price range, but I think it would be worth it. If you want a really transparent, detailed sound with a fairly wide soundstage, they're the ones for you. Performed well with any genera, just great "all-around" type cans. They sound really good unamped too, I was surprised at how well they were driven from any DAP I tried. Here they are (you could find a cheaper price, probably):

Amazon.com: Closed-back dynamic audiophile headphones, 53 mm drivers with neodymium magnet systems, 3.5 mm connector w/ 1/4" adapter: Electronics

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by widge34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what i have read, the Denons (Which i was going to buy) do not seal very well and leak sound...

No, I've heard they don't isolate well but with no/little leaking. Depends how much volume.

OP: SRH440, V6, M50. Many iPod products are on-ear, or are full-sized with low sensitivity. Be wary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back