Not too expensive external ( USB ) soundcard/audio interface
May 5, 2011 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

lorafenik

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm looking for external DAC/ADC. The soundcard on my PC died (it was Prodigy 7.1 HIFI) and I need something better than internal one. SQ of Prodigy was satisfying for me, moreso, I can do a little downgrade. Little.
It happend just few months before my studies and I'm going to study sound engineering, so I'm thinking of getting some not-too-bad ADC.
I'll be using notebook, so it has to be external box.
It would also be nice if I could switch output from speakers to HPs, like I did with Prodigy.
What's your opinion?
Thanks in advance
pzdr

May 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #3 of 10
I'll be using speakers, probably KRK Rokit 5 or some of the cheapest active ADAMs

May 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #5 of 10
Hmm, the prices differ quite a lot between Poland and US, but let's say E-MU 0202 USB is near the upper price limit. That's less than $100
I'd buy Mackie Onyx used, but new one is quite expensive

May 8, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 10
You could get the Creative Sound Blaster X-fi HD in that range, not sure if you care about more then 2 channels for audio outputting. Is this going to mainly for speakers, headphones, or both?

May 8, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #7 of 10
Have a look at Audiotrak Prodigy Cube.
It's well featured and quite musical sounding.
Most likely close to your former Audiotrak soundcard.

You can find it on Ebay for 99$ (shipped).

May 8, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 10
I have a EMU 0204, and I like it. The X-Fi HD recommended above seems to be very similar to the emu (both made by creative even), but apparently the X-FI HD resamples redbook 44.1  audio to 44.8 khz, while the EMU accepts pretty much every sample rate without resampling it.

May 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 10
http://www.amazon.com/Numark-DJ-Multi-Channel-Interface/dp/B000S5Q2EK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304741670&sr=8-3

i don't know how it is but it should do the job just fine if it's just music. my soundcard output jack just went dead on me couple days ago so i was thinking of getting this thing here since my main listening are is around my computer as well as my other stuff and i use my amps. reviews seem good to me but i haven't had a chance to order it yet. it's a basic 2.0 card. i was gonna get the creative as well but i read too much bloatware and problems with creative software and i don't care for surround sound or any type of DSP's.

May 8, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 10
Also, If you can find one I think the Art DI/O can be had for fairly cheep, and it is supposed to be excellent for the price....and highly modable if your into that kind of thing 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back