Not to happy with ATH-M50
Aug 16, 2012 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

willitblend

Aka: Thatonedude2
Anyone else buy these and not be satisfied with these? I find them a little lacking in a few places but of course im a new Hi-fier and these are my first pair but they just wernt as good as i belived they would be from all the hype

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm curious, what exactly is it that you don't like about them.  I was considering them, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Steve

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 15
I found the mids to recessed for my ears. They always sounded a bit cold to me. Sold them and bought the AKG K518LE, which is technically a inferior headphone but I enjoyed it more due to the tonality of it. I liked the mids much more. Now I ended with the DT1350...

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 15
How do you like the 1350's?  I'm also considering them, LOL.

Steve

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #7 of 15
I disagree with the soundstage comment. I think these have a great soundstage and the highs aren't tinny... however, the lack of mids does bother me and I'm not a big fan of the amount of bass either. I prefer less bass and more analytic/neutral sound.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
I disagree with the soundstage comment. I think these have a great soundstage and the highs aren't tinny... however, the lack of mids does bother me and I'm not a big fan of the amount of bass either. I prefer less bass and more analytic/neutral sound.

Maybe your ears perceive your M50's differently but the M50 has a rather narrow soundstage. If you listen to any binaural recordings you wont hear much that will tickle your ears. lol

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 15
Well the M50's arent really to bad just probably a really bad soundstage I have a pair of $10 headphone with better soundstage than these and the mids i find too muddy so dont buy these if you like alternitive music or anything like that the highs are pretty good and nice sound the lows are pretty good but if your a basshead you wont be satisfied at all and they arent too good with just an ipod or anything like that so I would get these if you use amplification cause theyre 10x better with it,theyre pretty good with classical music and thats about it good build quality isolation is pretty good blocks out up to 13 db the have a tight fit but when theyre broken in its not so tight I wouldnt get these if you plan on useing them around loud noises like on the bus or in the car for they do not block loud noise at all makes the music harder to hear but if your looking for a bass headphone simlar to these get the ATH-Pro700 mk2 theyre just like the M50's but with more bass

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #12 of 15

What other headphones have you used?
It might not seem small if it's you're first or second pair of closed backs but compare them to a nice pair of open backs in the same price range (AD700/AKG K/Q702) and in relation, the soundstage is tiny.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 15
Every closed headphone's soundstage is tiny compared to pretty much any open headphone
normal_smile%20.gif
The D2000 doesn't count..that's more like semi-open.

If you want a larger soundstage from the M50, use a good amp and computer DAC. I think the soundstage of the KRK KNS-8400 and DJ100 (with M50 pads) has it beat though.

The soundstage has always suffer for me with portable devices. It's just not the same. Even a full sized CD player with headphone jack is better..sometimes. Too bad they're not as common.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 15
Every closed headphone's soundstage is tiny compared to pretty much any open headphone
normal_smile%20.gif
The D2000 doesn't count..that's more like semi-open.

If you want a larger soundstage from the M50, use a good amp and computer DAC. I think the soundstage of the KRK KNS-8400 and DJ100 (with M50 pads) has it beat though.

The soundstage has always suffer for me with portable devices. It's just not the same. Even a full sized CD player with headphone jack is better..sometimes. Too bad they're not as common.

Well, even for a closed back the M50s are lacking in the soundstage department no matter what I plug them into (which isn't a wide variety, but still a few different amps / sources).
And actually the Dx000 series is technically semi-open. Apparently there are some vents or something along those lines in it that let sound out give air flow which would probably be the reason they sound kind of open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back