Not sure where to turn so, here I am! How can I properly connect my gear (speakers/audiocard/subwoofer)?
Jan 27, 2011 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ARoach

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Polk PSW111 sub to go with my Audioengine A2 speakers and I have them working... but I am not sure if they're performing optimally.

As it stands, I took my DVD player's RCA cables (yellow/red/white) and plugged the red/white into my A2s (input "A"), and the other end into my sub, and the sub works.

I'm using a 1/8 from my Asus Xonar front, to my Audioengine input "B" (seen above). 

What cables do I need, and is this the best set up?

Thanks a lot you guys!  :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 8
From your sound card to the subwoofer, you will probably need a 1/8" stereo-to-RCA cable.

Problem is your sound card is also using an 1/8" stereo plug for the active speakers.

So the question is, can your sound card output the same signal to two separate outputs? If not, then you probably need to get a splitter so that you can connect both speakers and sub to the same jack.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4 of 8
OP I think you may be doing the right thing, from an earlier thread regarding a similar issue, audioengine issued a response to the query stating

"Hi,

Most subs have outputs to the speakers from the sub.

If not, a little known "feature" of the A2 is that you can use one of the inputs as an "output". Just plug your unused "input" from the A2 into the input of your sub.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!"

That is pretty much what you are doing. Its really silly of them to not label this properly on the speaker though.

The thread I was referring to is here.http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/355187/how-to-add-subwoofer-to-audioengine-a2

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #5 of 8
A-HA!  I've got it!

Your subwoofer has the following ports (from top to bottom):
LFE input - this is the dedicated subwoofer input, right now you have your DVD player's video out plugged into it
stereo RCA input
stereo speaker spring terminal input
stereo speaker spring terminal output

Go to Radioshack and get these cables:
1 6-Ft. 1/8" Stereo to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-cable

1 6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Plug to RCA Plug

4 24-Ft. 18-Gauge Speaker Cable with RCA Plug

Ask one of the salespeople to show you how to plug speaker wires into spring terminals.  Tell him you're using powered speakers so you don't need an amp or receiver.

After you return home, do the following:
Set your computer's audio output to 2.1

Plug the y-cable into the front output (second from top) and the subwoofer RCA input.
Plug the 1/8"-to-RCA cable into the ctr/sbw (fourth from top) and the subwoofer LFE input.
Plug 2 of the speaker cables into the DVD player's RCA stereo output and the subwoofer stereo speaker spring terminal input.
Plug 2 of the speaker cables into Audioengine RCA input and the subwoofer stereo speaker spring terminal output.

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 8
batphink, I dont think you quite understood the OP's post. I had a tough time deciphering it as first as well, but after a few attempts I think I got it,

I think he meant he is using the RCA cable that he got with his DVD player and that he is using the stereo white and red on those to connect the A2 speakers Input A to the sub. If you read above the picture of the soundcard you'll see he is using a different cable to go to the Input B on the A2. Honestly there neednt have been a mention of DVD player anywhere on the post cos it just ended up confusing everyone.

Also read my post regarding what Audioengine have said, there is no need to do anything more than what the OP has already done (assuming I am correct on the connection aspect). RCA cables from input A going to RCA on the sub will work fine.

Jan 27, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't think I need to go the lengths you describe batphink but I very much appreciate the time you put into helping me.  I should have omitted the detail about using my DVD player cables.  I think I'm happy with the sound I'm getting, thanks you guys.  :)

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry about that.  Not enough sleep.

Anyway, run a y-cable from the front out jack to the Audionengine input and a 1/8"-RCA cable from the ctr/sbw jack to the subwoofer LFE input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back