Not sure where to put this... Can you hear the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps on Ultrasone HFI 780?
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cubercaleb

New Head-Fier
Not sure where to put this... Can you hear the difference between FLAC and 320Kbps on Ultrasone HFI 780?

I'm getting my new headphones for christmas tomorrow and I would like to know if I will be able to notice the difference between the two types of audio with them? I plan on listening my music mostly on my ipod, which I know doesn't support FLAC, however on my pc I am currently using my onboard audio, and plan on getting a Asus Xonar DGX. So yeah will I be able to notice the difference or will it just be a waste of space on my hard drive? Btw all the songs i download end up on in my itunes library.

Thanks ahead of time, also I know this might be in the wrong place so mods please feel free to move it.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 10
Find out by doing what follows (this assumes that you already have the headphones, i.e. wait until tomorrow first).

Get foobar for your PC as well as the ABX plugin for it. Take the FLAC version of whichever song and convert it to MP3 (foobar does this, look on Google). Load the MP3 and FLAC versions of the song onto foobar's playlist, select both, select ReplayGain from the click menu, scan the files and update the tags. Then go back to the previous menu and select Utilities, then ABX. Tick 'Use ReplayGain' and take the test: A and B are the two versions of the song, and your job is to decide whether X is A or B. If you get 9/10 attempts right, there's a chance that you hear a difference.

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

It's hard to say, because everyone's ears are different. I can't hear the difference with my HFI-780s, but the only way you'll know for sure is if you try the ABX test as described in post #2. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:
Find out by doing what follows (this assumes that you already have the headphones, i.e. wait until tomorrow first).

Get foobar for your PC as well as the ABX plugin for it. Take the FLAC version of whichever song and convert it to MP3 (foobar does this, look on Google). Load the MP3 and FLAC versions of the song onto foobar's playlist, select both, select ReplayGain from the click menu, scan the files and update the tags. Then go back to the previous menu and select Utilities, then ABX. Tick 'Use ReplayGain' and take the test: A and B are the two versions of the song, and your job is to decide whether X is A or B. If you get 9/10 attempts right, there's a chance that you hear a difference.

Sounds complicated but i shouldn't have any problems doing that, thanks!

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

It's hard to say, because everyone's ears are different. I can't hear the difference with my HFI-780s, but the only way you'll know for sure is if you try the ABX test as described in post #2. 

Ohh, you also have the 780's? I heard they have some comfort issues and look a bit goofy with the big headband, is that true? Also about how long does it take to break them in?

Dec 24, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
Ohh, you also have the 780's? I heard they have some comfort issues and look a bit goofy with the big headband, is that true? Also about how long does it take to break them in?

Goofy? Well, I wouldn't wear them outside, no....lol. But that's more because I don't want to scratch the nice shiny cups, really. As far as comfort, your ears can get hot with the stock pads, and the treble response is a little harsh for some people with the stock pads....but you can get velour (cloth) pads that help with that. 

I don't know how long it will take for them to break in for you....I got mine in used(like new condition) from a friend. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Goofy? Well, I wouldn't wear them outside, no....lol. But that's more because I don't want to scratch the nice shiny cups, really. As far as comfort, your ears can get hot with the stock pads, and the treble response is a little harsh for some people with the stock pads....but you can get velour (cloth) pads that help with that. 

I don't know how long it will take for them to break in for you....I got mine in used(like new condition) from a friend. 

Yeah i plan on using them almost every where, also I will have to determine whether or not I like the treble, where can i find the velour pads?

Dec 24, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Yeah i plan on using them almost every where, also I will have to determine whether or not I like the treble, where can i find the velour pads?

I'm not 100% sure.....but if you look at some of the other threads here, I'm sure one of them will mention what they are and where you can get them.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Hahaha this really brings back memories from a thread last year.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/584244/i-cant-tell-the-difference-between-320kbps-and-128-kbps-music/75#post_7966526

I took the test with a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back