Not sure what to get...
May 22, 2009 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Epicfailman

100+ Head-Fier
So my budget for new headphones $550 maximum. I cannot get any higher whatsoever. I am entering college next semester, so I can't pull money from elsewhere. My problem lies in that I need a new pair of phones and a DAC. My main computer is going from a desktop to a laptop, so the DAC is necessary. I like rock music, some rap, and a little bit of everything else. But mainly rock. I play first person shooters and some real time stategy. I also watch quite a few movies. I am after a pair of headphones that will offer a good deal of immersion and will be relatively good all-rounders. However, I need a good DAC to fit in that budget too. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

May 22, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 23
May 22, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 23
I had not considered them, but they would be good choices I think based on their popularity. I am a pretty big fan of the Audio Technica sound signature too, but it needs more bass. Not sure if there is anything that really fits that category. What about something like markl Denon D2000s? Those should be pretty good from what I hear. Not to mention the price difference between them and the D5000s would leave me wish enough cash to get a DAC like the Little Dot DAC that just came out. Any thoughts?

May 22, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 23
I don't know enough about Denon or AT to give a valid response lol... i'm sorry i do want to give them a more serious audition at canjam though.

May 22, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #9 of 23
If you are going to be living in a dorm, I would suggest a closed headphone, not so much for isolation as sound leakage, because unless you know who you are rooming with, some people get really pissed off by tinny second hand listening. Just a thought ...

May 22, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 23
Yeah, I have thought about that, and I think for that reason I am leaning toward closed. Keep in mind my current amp is a Little Dot I+ so I would prefer a lower impedance headphone to drive it properly. I can't afford another amp at the moment, but further down the road, I will be getting another more than likely. However, that will be at least a year if not more.

Edit: The only amp I count afford would be the Audio-gd compass, and that is only because it has a DAC which I am currently in need of. Any thoughts on that? SHould I stick with the Little Dot I+ and get a stand alone DAC or get a compass?

May 22, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 23
Well, I can't help you, as my only closed cans are most definitely not 'good all-rounders'. They're suited to protecting your hearing from loud noise like gunfire, while letting you listen to (electronically volume-limited) radio or DAP input. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

May 22, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #13 of 23
Imo your best bet is most likely the compass + D2000. I haven't heard the compass but pretty much everyone seems to like it. I've only heard a partially modded D5000 at a meet but it sounded pretty good. My first headphones after coming here were AD700's also and going from those to Dx000's will be a big jump bass wise. The partial markl mod to reduce/clear the bass is cheap though so it might be right up your alley. Another phone worth looking into could be the ultrasone pro 750. I've read some nice reviews of it also.

Its hard to recommend phones to follow the ad700's. I bought K701's and the shanling amp at the same time and I liked that combo but they leave no money for a dac. I think the only sure fire "you will like it if you like ad700" upgrade is the audio technica ad2000. Those are just too expensive though.

May 22, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 23
What about a pair of ATH ESW9s or something? Do they carry the signature AT sound? Ultrasone HFi-780s have been highly recommended to me as well. Any thoughts there? I may end up doing the compass+D2000 markl. Can't the compass work as a preamp as well? So I could do laptop > compass > little dot > D2000?

May 22, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #15 of 23
I'd probably get y1 + MHSS + HD600 with you budget.

but be careful those who are too curious about your gears at college
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back