Not sure what to get next.
Jul 9, 2017 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lawlbear

New Head-Fier
So I bought the V-Moda Crossfade M-100's a year ago now, and while I love the sound I hate the lack of comfort. Can anyone recommend some headphones in that price range with comparable bass? Something that is wearable throught the day. I don't mind going up to 300.

As a refrence I'm really digging the "Sony MDR-1000x."

Edit: I ended up getting the Sony 1000x, Momentums 2.0, and Fostex T50RPIII. I was pretty surprised by how bad two of those where. Not even close to the Vmodas. That said the Fostex are ridiclously good. I'd say those are the best headphones i've ever used in the 300 dollar range. While the bass is better on the M100's the Fostex is not that far behind. Overall sound and comfort goes to the fostex. In short if you realllllly prefer bass, go with the Vmodas, but I'm sticking with those Fostex.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 28
Ultrasone PRO900 (I think they're called "900i" now, and I'm not sure what the differences are apart from the leather headband). Superior headphone in every way, imho (but then again, I don't hold V-Moda in very high regard). Lots more comfortable (bigger, more padding, etc) too.

If you don't need "MOAR BASSS!!1111ONEONEONELEVEN" and/or isolation there are plenty of more "typical" or "well balanced" cans to consider, like the Sennheiser HD 600.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 28
The M-100s have better bass response then both of those =/

Based on what?

And how are you defining "better?"

I've heard all three, and frankly the M-100 are the worst of the bunch in terms of sound quality, imaging, detail retrieval, etc imho. The PRO900 are superior in all of those regards, have better soundstaging, and more bass. HD 600 give up some bass for a more balanced/natural presentation, but as I said, you won't get "MOAR BASS!!!!ONEONEONE" from them (which, if I'm being frank, isn't all there is to music). Overall I wouldn't regard the M-100 as being on the same level as either of those, or many other $300-400 cans.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 28
Look... I hate to diss any headphone manufacturer, but I will never recommend Ultrasone to anybody unless they hear it first. Same with GRADOS.

If you want a great $300 headphone, look for a preowned E-Mu Teak or TH-X00/Th-600.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #6 of 28
Based on what?

And how are you defining "better?"

I've heard all three, and frankly the M-100 are the worst of the bunch in terms of sound quality, imaging, detail retrieval, etc imho. The PRO900 are superior in all of those regards, have better soundstaging, and more bass. HD 600 give up some bass for a more balanced/natural presentation, but as I said, you won't get "MOAR BASS!!!!ONEONEONE" from them (which, if I'm being frank, isn't all there is to music). Overall I wouldn't regard the M-100 as being on the same level as either of those, or many other $300-400 cans.

Based on Frequency response charts from inner fedelity, also I EQ all my headphones. But Response chart will give u a good idea of what they can put out.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #8 of 28
I saw those the other day, I'm really torn between those or the Sony 1000x
I really think the two headphones are in different classes all together. I'd take the Fostex any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Jul 10, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 28
Haha, yeah I agree, but either one is an upgrade from the m-100's and I'm really digging the features on the sony =\
Sometimes features trump sound, depending on intended use. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #11 of 28
Based on Frequency response charts from inner fedelity, also I EQ all my headphones. But Response chart will give u a good idea of what they can put out.

Honestly I'm gonna go with "no" on this one, and add that "chart reading" or otherwise attempting to divine how a headphone will sound based on a glance at a frequency response measurement is usually a fruitless exercise (and this is based on significant experience). It is not something that can be so easily condensed down to a single linear metric, and I stand by what I said earlier. I have no interest in a flame war over this either (especially if you haven't heard any of the cans in question/don't have the requisite frame of reference to carry the discussion) - I've provided you with my input and you seem happier following your own machinations, so why bother asking the question in the first place? Best of luck in your search.

The Fostex/Denon models aren't a bad choice either, but will be a bit pricier as new, and don't offer the isolation or durability (especially if we're talking the woodie models, for obvious reasons) of the V-Moda or Ultrasone. I have a sense these are destined for mobile (ab)use, so that might not be a good candidate (and truthfully, if we *are* talking about mobile (ab)use, IEMs should really be the top consideration).

ProfFalkin - I would agree with your sentiment about "not recommending unless they've heard it" to any headphone: there's really no good way to consistently divine how a headphone will sound just from looking at charts or reading reviews/impressions (let alone whether or not someone will like it). Ultimately the best we can hope to do is provide a shortlist of things that can lead to auditions, and then its on whoever to make their own choice what to do with that information.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 28
Honestly I'm gonna go with "no" on this one, and add that "chart reading" or otherwise attempting to divine how a headphone will sound based on a glance at a frequency response measurement is usually a fruitless exercise (and this is based on significant experience). It is not something that can be so easily condensed down to a single linear metric, and I stand by what I said earlier. I have no interest in a flame war over this either (especially if you haven't heard any of the cans in question/don't have the requisite frame of reference to carry the discussion) - I've provided you with my input and you seem happier following your own machinations, so why bother asking the question in the first place? Best of luck in your search.

The Fostex/Denon models aren't a bad choice either, but will be a bit pricier as new, and don't offer the isolation or durability (especially if we're talking the woodie models, for obvious reasons) of the V-Moda or Ultrasone. I have a sense these are destined for mobile (ab)use, so that might not be a good candidate (and truthfully, if we *are* talking about mobile (ab)use, IEMs should really be the top consideration).

ProfFalkin - I would agree with your sentiment about "not recommending unless they've heard it" to any headphone: there's really no good way to consistently divine how a headphone will sound just from looking at charts or reading reviews/impressions (let alone whether or not someone will like it). Ultimately the best we can hope to do is provide a shortlist of things that can lead to auditions, and then its on whoever to make their own choice what to do with that information.

I ask because it's good to get input from various people. But i'm not sure I agree with your assesment either. You can dyno test cars and I'm pretty sure you can figure out which one is gonna be faster. I would imagine the same goes for headphones. There are of course things that can't be taken into account through charts. Such as feel, sound reverberation, ect. But from personal experience, I've yet to see the charts lie. Everytime I upgrade my headphones I look up charts to help me make my final decision. That said you swear by them so I'll take your word for it but have you also used the M-100's and do you EQ balance your headphones?

And going back to charts you're right hte other headphones seem to have better clarity but it just seems like the bass is not there for me. I usually balance my headphones out but my bass just has to have that punch.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #13 of 28
ProfFalkin - I would agree with your sentiment about "not recommending unless they've heard it" to any headphone: there's really no good way to consistently divine how a headphone will sound just from looking at charts or reading reviews/impressions (let alone whether or not someone will like it)

True, I agree.

Doubly true for Ultrasone and Grado, as they are unique in their sonic presentations.

I think that is the kindest I can be toward Ultrasone, by using the term unique presentation. Many other terms come to mind, and none are flattering.

To each their own though.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:21 AM Post #14 of 28
I ask because it's good to get input from various people. But i'm not sure I agree with your assesment either. You can dyno test cars and I'm pretty sure you can figure out which one is gonna be faster. I would imagine the same goes for headphones. There are of course things that can't be taken into account through charts. Such as feel, sound reverberation, ect. But from personal experience, I've yet to see the charts lie. Everytime I upgrade my headphones I look up charts to help me make my final decision. That said you swear by them so I'll take your word for it but have you also used the M-100's and do you EQ balance your headphones?

He actually have you really good advice. FR graphs really tell you very little. I'd rely on them for one thing only - avoiding cans that are too bass/treble heavy for your tastes. Even then, a peaky treble on a graph may not be as severe when auditioned.

An FR graph won't tell you how it isolates, presents a soundstage, etc.

As for EQ... I rarely ever EQ anything. EQ is the personification of the saying "You can put makeup and a dress on it and bring it to the dinner table, but a pig is still a pig.". EQ doesn't fix bad headphones.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 28
Sony MDR-1A - Ultimate comfort. Yummy Bass. Easy to drive. Sexy sound.

The end.

BTW.... I ALWAYS use EQ with music to tailor the sound to my liking. Doesn't matter the source or headphone. Flat EQ is boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back