Not sure what I'm looking for. Want better computer audio, need to power HD 650's and have digital connection.
Jun 14, 2013 at 2:26 AM Post #16 of 19
Makes sense, just thought that since I was investing in a card for powering my Sennheiser's I'd try to improve the sound bar.
I might be investing in the full surround later on since where I work I get a accommodations through them so I get the equipment pretty cheap. Would it make a difference then?
Also what would be blu-ray quality sound? If I could get substantially better sound from a different system I would wanna look into it.

Most likely an HT setup of the same cost as the full Sonos Playbar, sub, and rear speaker setup would be better. I haven't heard the Playbar, but it's generally the case that you can easily improve upon soundbar setups. Even Endgadget came to that conclusion in their listening test:

Is it a replacement for your home stereo? No. Casual listeners will find no fault with the Playbar's sonic output, but if you're thinking this new Sonos can provide the depth of sound and stereo separation provided by a quality set of desktop speakers or a full component stereo, you'll be disappointed. The Playbar excels as a soundbar, providing a considerable upgrade over your TV's speakers and serving as a capable stereo substitute that provides a convenient way to listen to all of your music.

For instance, for the price of their sub at $699, most likely the HSU Research VTF-3 MK4 or SVS PB12-NSD would slay it in overall performance. If you are getting a good discount, perhaps you are getting a good value.

Dolby Digital, which is the common encoding for DVD 5.l, is compressed, lossy audio. Fairly high bit rate, but still not lossless. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA in Blu-ray are lossless and are supposed to give you an exact duplicate of the studio master. So you do hear a difference with a good audio system between a good quality movie recording on DVD vs. one on Blu-ray.

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
A modern 5.1 surround sound system with a receiver that has several HDMI inputs could take advantage of full Blu-ray 7.1 24-bit/192Khz digital audio.
You could connect the PS3 to the receiver (HDMI) and play all your Blu-ray and DVD movies using the PS3.
That Playbar might offer really good quality, but it seems to be designed for good 2-channel music or 2 channel TV audio, then surround sound movies.

Yeah that would be too much for my apartment. Once I get a house I'll probably invest in all that stuff but for now I think the Playbar sounds pretty darn good.
Thanks for the help guys!

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:
Most likely an HT setup of the same cost as the full Sonos Playbar, sub, and rear speaker setup would be better. I haven't heard the Playbar, but it's generally the case that you can easily improve upon soundbar setups. Even Endgadget came to that conclusion in their listening test:
For instance, for the price of their sub at $699, most likely the HSU Research VTF-3 MK4 or SVS PB12-NSD would slay it in overall performance. If you are getting a good discount, perhaps you are getting a good value.

Dolby Digital, which is the common encoding for DVD 5.l, is compressed, lossy audio. Fairly high bit rate, but still not lossless. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA in Blu-ray are lossless and are supposed to give you an exact duplicate of the studio master. So you do hear a difference with a good audio system between a good quality movie recording on DVD vs. one on Blu-ray.

Yeah I got it for 300 bones so I think It was a pretty decent buy.
Would it be possible to get lossless without a receiver? 
It's easy to setup 5.1 on it and I've heard talk of DTS being supported in the near future.
Again, not really educated on all this stuff. Could be dvd quality DTS for all I know.

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
Yeah I got it for 300 bones so I think It was a pretty decent buy.
Would it be possible to get lossless without a receiver? 
It's easy to setup 5.1 on it and I've heard talk of DTS being supported in the near future.
Again, not really educated on all this stuff. Could be dvd quality DTS for all I know.

The Playbar is limited to 48Khz, which is music and DVD (DD or DTS) audio level sound, so you will never get full Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio (like up to 192Khz) thru the Playbar.
But you still could get some good audio sound from Blu-ray disks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back