Not sure if DT770-250's fit the bill
Jan 15, 2009 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oldskoolboarder

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I blame danmagicman for taking me down the headphone rabbit hole. He posted his can addiction on the Axiom Audio boards. During the holiday break, I found myself looking at ebay for headphones and found a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770-250's for $100, only 2 weeks old. Just got them today. (In between, I've spent a lot of time reading various threads on this forum. Very entertaining.)

Some background. I have a HT system based around Axiom speakers, Pio Elite 45TX and a Denon 2200 universal player. I have a 2nd stereo only system consisting of Projekt Debut TT, Ah! Njoeb tube CD player w/ some upgrades, Rotel 1070 stereo pre-amp, iPod 3G/5.5G with LOD, Antique Sound Labs AV-25 monoblocks (tube), and Von Schwiekert VR1's. Most of my music listening is done on my stereo system. I LOVE the sound of my tubes and VR1's. When listening to Rodrigo Y Gabriela, Coltrane, Steve Wonder, Jake Shimabukuro, Julia Fordham and the like, I really like the warmth of the tube side, breadth of the soundstage, and the distinctness (is that a word?) of the vocals and instruments. Weirdly enough, the VR1 monitors provide a nice amount of bass for a large room (20' x 30') surrounded completely by untreated glass windows. That was a welcome surprise. It's not a boomy sound, just a solid punch that you know is there. I like my music transparent, I'd rather hear it how the recording engineer intended it to be. My goal to move to headphones was to hopefully duplicate this sound.

I used the same source material on several headphone outputs in my system. My Ah! Njoeb has a headphone output that was actually quite good. I can't turn it past 2 levels above MIN or it's too loud. The DT770's seem to have a good sense of the highs, but the mids and bass just didn't hit me right. I could tell that the mids and bass were there, just a bit distant or veiled. When listening to Jake's ukelele, the tones were there, I could sense the strumming but something is missing. The other odd sensation was that I could feel the chords moreso than my speakers, but I seem to think that's because the air movement is so much closer to my ear with cans. Would that be a correct assessment?

Next I went to the headphone output on the Rotel. Very close in sound to the Ah! but a little more emphasis on the highs in a good way, they were a bit clearer. Someone mentioned in another thread that the Rotel supposedly had a good output, I would agree. Mids and bass were more prevalent, but that veil was still there.

Lastly, I took my source material and played it on my Pio 45TX and Denon 2200. This was good but probably 3rd out of the 3 options. Seems that the highs were more pronounced and a bit brighter than I'd like. Mids and bass again were veiled. I took a listen to my Eagles Hotel California DVDA which is one of my favorite recordings. Granted it was only 2 channel and some aspects were missing, and still the mids weren't quite there.

Could it be, for my tastes, that the 770-250's aren't the perfect match for my ears? Would the Denon D2000, AKG701 or Senn HD600/650 be a better fit, providing more pronounced mids to go w/ the treble? I don't want heavy bass, I've got my superfi pro 5 EB's for that.

Also, assuming that these only have 1 week of usage, could additional burn in change the signature? In what way?

Thanks for reading, and even more thanks for feedback.

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Last night I also was able to test with my Sophia Baby as an amp. I would rank it slightly below the Rotel 1070. There was a bit more separation with the Rotel which I liked. The Rotel also had a bit more punch.

I can't imagine that power is an issue, even though the Sophia only a 10W amp. They seemed to power my monitor speakers fine in large room. These monitors included Von Schweikert VR1's and Axiom Audio M22's. Granted these are 8 ohms speakers and the 770's are 250 ohms.

I do admit that the Sophia did sound better and better as it warmed up. I may try to burn the 770's a bit more and add more warm up time to the Sophia. Last night I only gave it about 15 minutes.

It's been suggested that I also look at Grados to match the sound I like. Perhaps the MS2's or 325i's?

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Hey Oldschool,

I've tried a few different headphones brands in the past and out of all of them the Grado brand had the detailed and forward sound the Axioms present. I tried a couple of the AKGs, Senns, Koss, UE and Altec Lansing (there's most likely more but can't remember them all) and none of these had the sound sig that I was looking for. I must admit the Koss was very close though.

I think you would enjoy the sound sig of the Grados.

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 10
The midrange of the 770's (250 Ohm version at least) is pretty recessed and the highs are very much forward. That's just their sound signature. Some people like them, some people don't.

Burning in probably won't change them *that* much, at least when I had the 770's.

MS2's are great, I have them. I'd keep the ol' eyeball out for them :).

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Is this the DT770 250 ohm Pro, or the DT770 250 ohm 2005 consumer edition?

Jan 16, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 10
I believe it's the Pro. What's the diff?

Jan 16, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 10
Jan 16, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #8 of 10
Jan 16, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whats the difference?

The DT770 Pro are bass heavy and not so detailed and resolving. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm has a more friendly treble than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm.
The DT770 consumer edition is more refined and airier. The bass is lighter and tighter.
Mids are more forward and clearer. The soundstage is wider.
The treble is more detailed, but also hotter than the Pro 80 ohm.
See also: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bey...dition-346155/

Jan 23, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 10
My are confirmed to be 770 250 Pros.

I picked up a Little Dot I+ from another head-fier today. With the 770's, it's good but not great. It doesn't have the bottom end or soundstage that my Rotel has. This LD is already using Sylvania 408's.

Waiting for some 325i's to arrive and I'll compare the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back