Not so popular tubes (6cg7/6fq7) in ppx
Aug 3, 2005 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Claus1100xx

500+ Head-Fier
has anybody heard the Zenith Radionic Tubes yet? Any good or a waste of money?

4590A.jpg

Also found clear top sidegetters? Can those be used in a ppx? I would like to try something new but am not sure if I can just pop any 6cg7 or 6fq7 tube in my amp.

f1_1_b.JPG

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #2 of 9
How much do they cost?

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 9
the zenith run $10 and various sidegetters run from $20-35 like Conrac or something like that. Never even heard of them, but wouldn't mind trying them out
confused.gif

Can I just pop anything in with the 6cg7 or 6fq7 designation and it will sound more or less like music?

be_1_b.JPG

what are sidegetters by the way?

Aug 3, 2005 at 4:57 AM Post #5 of 9
You shouldn't have any problem using any 6CG7 or 6FQ7. But if used or not I would test them first. Sidegetters/cleartop, were normally RCA tubes (some late tubes were made in Brazil and aren't too bad). The getter is the material that absorbs the last bit of gass in the vacuum and any that may leak into the tube, provided not too much leaks in, which will turn the getter material, which is normally silver, to white. Most tubes have top getter and some have side, while others have top and side.

The 6FQ7 is the electrical equivilent of the octal 6SN7. They were often used in tv's and are quite abundent. The 12FQ7 is the same tube in a 12.6 volt filament version and I have subbed this tube for the 12AU7 with good success.

John

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
You shouldn't have any problem using any 6CG7 or 6FQ7. But if used or not I would test them first. Sidegetters/cleartop, were normally RCA tubes (some late tubes were made in Brazil and aren't too bad). The getter is the material that absorbs the last bit of gass in the vacuum and any that may leak into the tube, provided not too much leaks in, which will turn the getter material, which is normally silver, to white. Most tubes have top getter and some have side, while others have top and side.

The 6FQ7 is the electrical equivilent of the octal 6SN7. They were often used in tv's and are quite abundent. The 12FQ7 is the same tube in a 12.6 volt filament version and I have subbed this tube for the 12AU7 with good success.

John

Can I just swap a 12 volt tube into the ppx without a problem or does the board need to be modified?
This sounds like a lot of fun experimenting with exotic tubes
tongue.gif

Do they use the same tubes in foreign countries as well, just with different designations? I know West Germany and Russia produced a boatload of tubes but which ones are the 6cg7 equivalents?

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 9
No you cant put a 12fq7 in a 6fq7 circuit. The board has nothing to do with why you cant use these. The voltage and heater current draw need to match the intended circuit. Electro Harmonix in Russia and Ei in Yugoslavia both make current production 6cg7 tubes. The best 6cg7's are the USA made tubes from the 1950-60's.

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
No you cant put a 12fq7 in a 6fq7 circuit. The board has nothing to do with why you cant use these. The voltage and heater current draw need to match the intended circuit. Electro Harmonix in Russia and Ei in Yugoslavia both make current production 6cg7 tubes. The best 6cg7's are the USA made tubes from the 1950-60's.

ok no 12 volt monkeying around then
wink.gif

Zenith is an america company but they really were focused on TVs (as far as my limited understanding goes). Will their tubes still produce something even remotely resembling music or will it just sound horrible?

Aug 3, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus1100xx
ok no 12 volt monkeying around then
wink.gif

Zenith is an america company but they really were focused on TVs (as far as my limited understanding goes). Will their tubes still produce something even remotely resembling music or will it just sound horrible?

Zenith, Emerson and Motorola didnt even make tubes. They bought them from the standard tube companies and rebranded them. The Zenith 6cg7's I have seen are Sylvania tubes.
blink.gif

Read your pm and this will all begin to make sense.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back