Not Satisfied With Bass Of SR 125...
Apr 1, 2005 at 9:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adamlau

100+ Head-Fier
The SR 60 has more voluminous (albeit muddier) bass. So either SR 80 or SR 225. Sticking with Grado. That said (and flat pads aside), is the bass of the SR 125 more voluminous and boomier than that of the SR 80? Is the bass of the SR 225 more voluminous and boomier than that of the SR 125? Source (DVD playback, MP3 music, PC gaming) not amplified. Will the SR 225 perform well enough (the SR 125 does a decent job) w/o an amp?

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 7
The125s were my first over a hundred bucks headphones that I bought.I love the mids and highs on them but they really lack bass.For ceartain kinds of music their really fine sounding phones.They reproduce acoustic bass and vocals really well which is why I have'nt sold mine yet.I went to the other extreme and bought some Beyerdynamic DT770-80s(around 200 bucks).Now these phones kick out some bass.The mids are just a little more recessed than the Grados but everything else I like better.Better soundstage nice highs,and very comfortable.

Apr 1, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 7
If you want bass the 325i should be your next stop. The 225s have good bass IMHO, but if you want extra depth and slam to it, the 325i's are your cans.

Apr 1, 2005 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 7
my 125's didn't have much bass until two things happened:

first, after about 50 hours of break in time the bass increased a bit.

second, i built an amp for them.

the cans are all stock. the first amp, a clone, gave them a little more bass, but the Szekeres really made them thump. i'm building another Szekeres with a constant current source.

i guess they just need power.

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 7
I concur... Grado bass definitely develops after serious burn-in. I was unimpressed with my MS-1 sound initially, but at some point during my gentle "listening burn-in", they changed to the consistent performers I love now
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass is decent, just be patient and match to the right source/amp.

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 7
Same thoughts about burn-in. Took my SR-80's about a year to finally get a really nice about of bass.

Inquiry: How's the SR-125's bass compared to the 80's?

Apr 2, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 7
I think switching to comfy pads on my SR125's made the bass response better. The SR80 has a bit more bass than the SR125, the last time I did a comparison. That said, this is just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back