Not many opinions on Benchmark usbDac1 yet
Jun 11, 2007 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
I want to pull the trigger on this one but there hasn't been much in the way of extensive impressions/ comparisons here yet. Just sort of quick, vague positives. There must be a lot of these out there by now.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 12
There is definitely some detailed information already here, including comparisons. Try searches that include just "benchmark" and "DAC1" and you're sure to get many hits.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 12
You cannot go wrong with the Benchmark DAC1 USB.

If you are using USB output from your computer for music, you cannot do better.

Jun 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 12
use search.. because the dac-1 is the most owned, reviewed and opinionated dac on all of audio.

Jun 11, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #5 of 12
I'm no expert on DACs, but I just got a DAC1 USB about a month ago, and have been very impressed by it. My one suggestion is that if you're thinking of using it also as a headphone amp -- I would recommend against it, at least if you're planning to use K701s. The DAC1's amp just doesn't match well at all with these cans, however if you feed the output into a really good amp that synergizes well with the K701s - like the HeadAmp GS-1 that I use -- I'll guarantee that you will be literally blown away by the sound. The only other DAC/amp combination that I've had any experience with is the 2006 HeadRoom Desktop with Max amp and DAC modules, and all I can say is that this is smoked by the DAC1/GS-1 combo that I have. Unfortunately I couldn't comment on the sound of the HR DAC alone. The USB option is a great thing, although I'm presently not using that option right now (but may move to computer based source in the future). There were some other upgrades in the DAC1 USB that appealed to me and eventually convinced me to buy this model rather than the stardard DAC1. There's a huge thread on this unit that I found extremely helpful, which you really need to check out.

Jun 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by twsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no expert on DACs, but I just got a DAC1 USB about a month ago, and have been very impressed by it.

That sound good. I´m also not an expert. But i had once a Apogee Mini-DAC USB and was not impressed by it.

I´m also using the K-701 but with a tube headphone amp. If I´m not deaf, a superb DAC don´t give me much improvement, ´cause the better details get lost with a tube amp. Or do you, or anyone else think, that a Benchmark DAC1 will be an improfment then the Apogee Mini-DAc USB wasn´t it?

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using USB output from your computer for music, you cannot do better.

I believe the there's a number of USB capable DACs on the market, including those from Bel Canto. Which of those have you heard in comparison?

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
use search.. because the dac-1 is the most owned, reviewed and opinionated dac on all of audio.

I wasn't sure if I should consider the Dac1 and the usb Dac1 as the same animal. I assume with my somewhat limited experience in computer audio that the direct I2S connection should make quite a difference.

Jun 12, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I´m also using the K-701 but with a tube headphone amp. If I´m not deaf, a superb DAC don´t give me much improvement, ´cause the better details get lost with a tube amp. Or do you, or anyone else think, that a Benchmark DAC1 will be an improfment then the Apogee Mini-DAc USB wasn´t it?

I supposed you could argue that a tubed amp "might" just soften or smooth out just enough micro-detail to make it very difficult to discern differences between DACs of varying quality. The bottom line, though, is that you just need to try the DAC1 to find out if this is really the case. Some folks feel the DAC1 is somewhat aggressive-sounding which could be balanced out by a tubed amp, although frankly I don't agree with this. Based on my experience to date with the DAC1, I have a feeling that you will find an improvement even with your tubed amp over the Apogee Mini-DAC. Even if you think you can't hear any differences between DACs - listen again carefully, even my 60 year old ears can hear the subtle improvements in spacial detail, resolution, etc. that the DAC1 seems to have -- and I suspect this would be true whether your amp is solid state or tubed.

Jun 14, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 12
Bear in mind that you can buy the DAC1 directly from Benchmark and they have a 30 day return policy so there is no real risk.

I use the DAC1 with the K701 and DT990 and certainly with the Beyers I have felt no desire to get a stand alone headamp.

Jun 15, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by s.a.b. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the DAC1 with the K701 and DT990 and certainly with the Beyers I have felt no desire to get a stand alone headamp.

I can only speak for the K701 but I found an improvement in overall sound quality (at least to my ears) when using my DAC1 USB with an external amp (GS-1). This is not to say that the DAC1 amp itself is bad but I think you could be missing out on the full potential of the DAC itself by just using the built in amp. I'm not exactly sure why this should be since the published specs on the DAC1 amp are actually pretty good but that's the way it often is. I believe my experience here is similar to what others have found.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back