Not ipressed with 5g Ipod.
Aug 18, 2006 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

gdg

Banned
I just got my first Ipod (5g 30gig). With decent headphones like my AKG K701s or Shure e500s driven by the RSA Hornet (m) I can, at times, hear actual distortion in the high frequencies. In addition the sound quality seems to fall off a cliff about as the battery drains. Has anyone else noticed the battery issue?

Aug 19, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by GIGANTOID
I'm sensing a pattern with this guy.

After posting I thought this might be a more appropriate place. I also noticed a separate issue that I wanted to bring up. They are not the same posts and even if they were what difference does it make? Wouldn't it be easier to just block my posts if you don't like them or is it more fun looking for trouble?

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 14
the problem is that your posts are quite incendiary. it's always a problem with this or a problem with that...or this sucks or that sucks...frankly, people don't like hating things that often...it's tiring. i'm not saying this as a criticism, just an explanation of why you might get some of the replies to your threads that you do. my 2 cents. 'tis all i'll say.

Aug 19, 2006 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 14
Your posts and topics are all about complaining lately, and even when we try to talk nice to you, you snap back, swearing and all like a spoiled kid.

Grow up, and return your iPod if you want to. Your money, your way.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 14
heh, rember that thread about FLAC vs. WAV?
rolleyes.gif

Sometimes it takes others for somebody to see their own mistakes and faults.

If you're afraid to admit stuff, it's fine; seriously.

You swore before (it was censored, of course), and imo it's never needed, especially not on a site like this.

And as for the iPod, get Rockbox, then turn on Hardware EQ. One of my very recent threads on it ("Holy carp...") has everybody agreeing (atm at least
tongue.gif
) that it improved the SQ a ton, and I know I can never go back on it being turned off.

Aug 19, 2006 at 4:51 AM Post #8 of 14
One thing that I misdiagnosed was the fact thath it seemed that after about 2 hours the perfomance of the Ipod fell off a cliff. I couldn't imagine what was causing this so I assumed it was a battery or heart issue. I believe I've isolated the problem. The E500s appear to slowly slide out of my ear canal and lose their seal. I never noticed it because it's almost imperceptable and they felt fully seated. This phenomenon is utterly new to me. Any ideas how I could improve this.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #9 of 14
Lets put the past behind us and all have fun with Rockbox, cause on the iPod thats where it's at. Someone should create a rockbox smiley for the forum
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaBoLoUsRmX
Lets put the past behind us and all have fun with Rockbox, cause on the iPod thats where it's at. Someone should create a rockbox smiley for the forum
wink.gif

I wish I could. I think my Ipod has is very sick. I'm getting nasty HF distortion and I've trouble shot everything. My headphones, the source files, my Hornet etc They are all OK. The problem is either in Itunes or the Ipod.

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 14
gdg: may be the problem is in your unit. I've had mine for awhile and I have no battery problems, and use Itunes as well for music purchases. Use an SM III v6 and Portaphile as amps with Ety 4p IEMS. But sound quality has always been good even without the extra amplification.

Mybe returning it??? Dunno

Aug 19, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdg
Athiest:You are quite simply a damn liar and if you can find a single post where I've sworn or attacked anyone who didn't attack first I will offer a public appology.

Ps Speaking about "spoiled kids" do still live at home young fella? News flash...Spoiled kids don't spend their own hard earned money.

I think that this post is a perfect example. We await your public apology.

Quote:

Since UHF mag had recently reported this same finding and attributed it to inadequecies in ALAC I assumed this to be the source of the problem. Instead of creating a dialog/debate on what might be going on I was immeadiatly attacked and told it it was a "placebo" effect, my imagnination, expectation etc etc.etc. Wrong! There was in fact an audible difference.

No, you received the negative reaction that you received in that thread because you made a blanket pronouncement in that thread and refused to follow *any* of the suggestions that could have narrowed the potential source of the problem. Even after you found a likely culprit--iPod's sound check feature--you *still* explicitly refused to do a comparison to determine that was in fact the problem, and instead you assumed without verification that it was. But then you proceeded to post at least three other threads about your iPod's sound quality.

We can block your posts, but unfortunately we cannot block your threads. Since you start a large number of threads (many on the same topic), use inflammatory titles, and respond with attacks to even the slightest criticism, not matter how well-intentioned or well-justified it is, your threads constantly show up on the "New Posts" screen, whether we want to see them or not.

You seem to be unable to have a rational, productive discussion without having it deteriorate into personal attacks. At some point, you need to ask yourself, "is it everyone else, or is it me?"

Your response to AtheisticFreedom's post was absolutely unjustified. I don't think that there is *any* reason to call someone on Head-Fi a "liar" and insinuate that he is a "spoiled child." We may disagree with others here, sometimes strongly, but we don't resort to personal insults about their intelligence, their family circumstances, their financial situations, their professions, their hearing ability, their equipment, and so on. If you feel that you have been personally attacked, use the "report post" button to report the post to the moderating staff and I'm sure that they will take appropriate action.

Aug 19, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

One thing that I misdiagnosed was the fact thath it seemed that after about 2 hours the perfomance of the Ipod fell off a cliff.

This is where, in your other threat, you realized the E500 slipped out of your ear, right?
Nothing to do with the ipod (for the record; I hate the SQ of ipods and would rather listen to silence).
You opened two threats, corrected your mistake in the other treat but not in this one...clearly the critics about you opening two treats on one subject are correct.

Aug 20, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #14 of 14
I suggest if you guys don't want to deal with gdg, then put him on your ignore list. He's been sent a pm. I am locking the thread since there seems to be no reason to continue this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back