Not impressed with the e500s, what now??
Jun 7, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jinp6301

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all

I have gotten a pair of Shure e500s to try out from my good friend and I was not really impressed with them. They have really good bass response and nice mids but I'm not really happy with them as a whole. I guess the sound signature doesnt really agree with me.

My favorite setup right now is my Grado 225s with a Little Dot II+ amp or a Sennheiser HD580 with a GLite and I know its basically impossible to get that level of SQ but I want something that isolates that sounds pretty good without an amp.

I know theres going to be the inevitable suggestion of ER4P/S but I think I need something with better bass response. I have had a good impression with the PK-2 and 3s but I need something more isolating and if I get the molds for the earphones, it changes the sound signature way too much.

What I'm looking at is the new Livewires. Is there something else I should look at?

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all

I have gotten a pair of Shure e500s to try out from my good friend and I was not really impressed with them. They have really good bass response and nice mids but I'm not really happy with them as a whole. I guess the sound signature doesnt really agree with me.

My favorite setup right now is my Grado 225s with a Little Dot II+ amp or a Sennheiser HD580 with a GLite and I know its basically impossible to get that level of SQ but I want something that isolates that sounds pretty good without an amp.

I know theres going to be the inevitable suggestion of ER4P/S but I think I need something with better bass response. I have had a good impression with the PK-2 and 3s but I need something more isolating and if I get the molds for the earphones, it changes the sound signature way too much.

What I'm looking at is the new Livewires. Is there something else I should look at?

I thought the e500's (e530's) were amazing , but of course that was through my whole home setup, which defeats the point of portable phones.
I'd go for er4p .

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the e500's (e530's) were amazing , but of course that was through my whole home setup, which defeats the point of portable phones.
I'd go for er4p .

I tried those but the bass response was really lacking. It sounded great with an amp but I'm way too lazy to carry an amp around. It really defeats the purpose of portability

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 48
You can go custom and get the ES2. The bass response is quite a bit better, and on the whole the sound is more punchy and dynamic. You won't have quite as wide a soundstage, and the fuller sound will make detail a bit more pushed back, but you'll also get quite a bit more refinement and a better tone. On the whole, the ES2 is on a different level entirely. The E500 is really too laid-back to give a Grado-like sound.

You can also wait for the Westone 3, but I guess if the E500 isn't good enough for you (and that's not surprising, it's decent but I wouldn't call any universal-fit canalphone good, though I haven't heard the UE or the Westone 3 yet), customs are the way to go.

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 48
x2 on the triple.fis.

They are very different from the E500s, but I think they perform equally as well, but with a brighter sound signature overall that will suit the tastes of those who find the 500s lacking in the highs.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 48
Quote:

Try the Triple-fi. It's like a e500 with less mids but more treble.

Quote:

x2 on the triple.fis.

I absolutely hated the triple.fi's. They sounded like garbage when I tried them.

I wasn't impressed by the E500's either, but they were way better than the triple.fi's. The Westone 3's however were amazing. They had a warmer and fuller sound than the Livewires, but I'd take Livewires over the E500 and Triple.fi's any day.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by FaRKle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely hated the triple.fi's. They sounded like garbage when I tried them.

I wasn't impressed by the E500's either, but they were way better than the triple.fi's. The Westone 3's however were amazing. They had a warmer and fuller sound than the Livewires, but I'd take Livewires over the E500 and Triple.fi's any day.

seems like the livewires are the way to go

can you give a short comparison between the westone 3s, e500s and the livewires?

Jun 7, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seems like the livewires are the way to go

can you give a short comparison between the westone 3s, e500s and the livewires?

Careful comparing highs between TFP and E500. The E500's actually sound brighter however TFP may reveal a tad more detail.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 48
I came to a decision a couple of days ago to buy the E500. But, I am not so sure anymore. I'm getting the sense that without an amp, their not going to very satisfying. Is what what you guys concluding as well?

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 48
you could save a fortune and go for the atrio m5 by futuresonics - it is a dynamic driver more like a proper headphone. it is not sibilant and has great detail, but not as much as the e500. the bass is humbling of any other product i have heard in ear phone

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came to a decision a couple of days ago to buy the E500. But, I am not so sure anymore. I'm getting the sense that without an amp, their not going to very satisfying. Is what what you guys concluding as well?

No. I guess everyone's tastes are different but I see no reason to get an amp with E500 unless an amp would make the highs sparkle which I have yet to hear anyone say it will. They are incredibly efficient.

The hiss is very subtle and doesn't wreck the music and it's not worth paying another $300 to get rid of it.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #14 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhumur /img/forum/go_quote.gif

an amp does help with a lot of the flaws (IMO) that come with the e500s. Using a supermacro LE, the bass got tighter, the highs came out and overall it was a better headphone, something that I could be happy with. But I didnt buy IEMs so I could carry an amp with it.

Jun 7, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 48
I think E500 realy shine when use with AMPs and it's shows more details in highs(works great with iMod). But bass and mids are incredible without AMPs help. To me every IEMs have it's own soundsignature especialy when it's come to soundstage. Some IEMs soundstage sit in mids, some in lower mids and some in upper mids. So it's always depend on buyers taste and which IEMs details and soundstage who like most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back