Not happy with UE Super.fi 5 Pro's... What else?
May 6, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #16 of 26
i think you are not getting a proper seal.
when you get a proper seal you should feel the bass.. sorry; i'm not good at explaining how to get a good seal.
frown.gif

May 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO i think the super fi 5 pro have louder bass than the se530!

dont get me wrong, the se530's produce deeper bass, but the deeper the bass goes, the quieter it gets, this is the same scenario with all headphones as the lower end bass gets more difficult to produce.

what gives the super fi 5 pro louder bass is the thumping mid bass it produces. im talking between 60 and 200hz, its banging. what makes the se530 better in the low end is the ability to produce sub bass better 50hz down, ive experienced 30hz tones easy with the shures then it gets very difficult to hear too many hz lower (although i think a 22hz tone is audible...just),impressive low end. the super fi's on the other hand are not too clean in the sub bass and as a result gives loud mid bass not deep bass, very prominent...i would say its your fit letting you down, its unlikely both earpeices have a failed low end driver or cabling.

if your convinced they dont produce bass try a test tone CD if you have access to one and see if they are producing sound in the low end, dont blast the source tho it shouldnt be needed to do so and could create distortion. you must remember tho as far as impact goes...in ear phones rarely will give you the power of full size speakers or headphones. IEM's are all dependant on quality rather than quantity, remember these are speakers that are tiny, how much do you expect them to kick?

In your signature you rate the LW's higher than the Super.Fi 5's - how is the bass/low end between these two?

Will

May 6, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #18 of 26
I used to use the Super.Fi 5 Pros myself.

I, too, found that, even with a good seal, the bass wasn't that impressive. Also, they weren't particularly comfortable for all-day listening.

Since I was using them at work, I dumped them and got a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770s. Much better!
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure what to recommend if you want a portable solution, though.

May 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your signature you rate the LW's higher than the Super.Fi 5's - how is the bass/low end between these two?

Will

again (by memory) the livewires were simply tighter, the super fi 5 had more bass but not as precise and sub bass like.

May 6, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #20 of 26
Just thought i'd update this thread... I sold the SF 5 Pro's and picked up a pair of Klipsch Custom-2, gonna give these a whirl and see how I feel. I'll post impressions as compared to the SF5 Pro's when I get em. Klipsch also looks to offer a very interesting array of ear fittings, so its possible i'll be able to find something with a better fit, even though I didnt find the fit to be lacking with the UE's.

May 7, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snoodge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought i'd update this thread... I sold the SF 5 Pro's and picked up a pair of Klipsch Custom-2, gonna give these a whirl and see how I feel. I'll post impressions as compared to the SF5 Pro's when I get em. Klipsch also looks to offer a very interesting array of ear fittings, so its possible i'll be able to find something with a better fit, even though I didnt find the fit to be lacking with the UE's.

Good luck with your choice. Hope it meets your expectations. I'm interested in the those Klipsch ear fittings and what they do for the sound.

May 10, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 26
Just got the Klipschs, and about 30 seconds into listening to them, I already know that they are giving me everything that I was missing with the Super.Fi 5 Pro's. All the missing bass, is suddenly there. I dont know how to explain the difference because I havent had time to do extended listening but regardless of the source, iPod, PSP, or my dedicated listening headphone getup these have superior sound. I'll report back with more opinions as I listen to more material.

May 10, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #23 of 26
Jesus...

Im so glad I didnt just listen to you guys and keep the super.fi's thinking I was bat**** crazy. These Klipschs are way better phones. Not just the bass either, they resolve more detail with the same equipment.

Listening to FLAC files upconverted to 24/96 with Foobar (SSRC) I can honestly hear background recording artifacts and little sounds on "AIR - Pocket Symphony" that ive listened to literally, 150 times the album through.

I know thats a comment that every crazy reviewer throughout the history of equipment reviews has made, and every time I read that same comment in stereophile or absolute sound I think to myself, man, that guy has said that in every review and its not true, i know it. But im being 100% honest here, ive heard new stuff that ive never heard before on a few tracks.

May 10, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #24 of 26
didnt even read the responses but i will tell you this... send them back! was unhappy with mine when i got them for the same reason... sent them back, got a new pair and was like What??? bass was pretty much all i heard, thats pretty much the only thing the ue's did. just do it.

May 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wquiles /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will

In our views,the super.Fi 5's and lw's have differeren bass,but lw's is a little higher.

May 10, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
didnt even read the responses but i will tell you this... send them back! was unhappy with mine when i got them for the same reason... sent them back, got a new pair and was like What??? bass was pretty much all i heard, thats pretty much the only thing the ue's did. just do it.

Way to not read the responses... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back