Not happy with UE Super.fi 5 Pro's... What else?
Apr 20, 2008 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Snoodge

100+ Head-Fier
I got them as a gift around christmas time and ive tried really hard to like them but as noobish as this sounds, I think I enjoyed my EX81's better than these. Sure theres more high end clarity, but the thing thats really cooking my goose is that they have NO bass. I mean none. I can put on my HD600's or HD280's and hear the full spectrum of sound, but these Super.fi 5 Pro's seem to not even try to produce any bass or even upper midrange.

So the question is, what can I replace them with, for an in ear headphone, at the $169 price range that will satisfy my desire to have at least some bass and upper midrange. When I was considering these phones I had looked at the Denon model that just came out around November, how do those sound?

Apr 20, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 26
I can only speak for my pair and frankly probably most people that are using them when I say either yours are defective or you've gotten a really terrible seal for your ears. Bass lacking is not what the UE's are all about. Try a pair of Shure's, and although crystal clear in sound, they lack in bass by comparison to the UE's.

Not really helpful with advice, but thought I should at least defend the UE's in disagreeing with your opinion.

Apr 20, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #4 of 26
i heard the super.fi 5's are bass *heavy* if anything??

yeah like the others said, make sure the seal is right. have you looked up pictures on how they should look in your ears?

i read on here someone mention a good way to check if they are sealed is to rub your index finger and thumb together just over the installed IEM. you shouldn't hear anything.

Try without a IEM installed you should hear your fingers rubbing together. Install the IEM and you shouldn't hear a thing. I've tested with 530 and it works well imo

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 26
Try to do the Shure olive mod on the earphones. If there is still not enough bass, try the EB version or pay more and get the SE530.

Apr 21, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #7 of 26
Lacking bass is definitely a sign of a bad seal. Try using the largest tips that come with the UE. If that doesn't help try the yellow foams (comply's) or modded olives. The SE530 have less bass so that won't be an option. The EB's have much more bass so that would be your solution.

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 26
Theyre definitely getting a proper seal, im not that dumb and this is my third pair of in ear headphones. I dont know, not sure how to explain what im missing. When I listen to my HD280's and HD600's theres a weight to certain instruments, especially brass and string sections of classical music that just isnt there, it sounds clear enough, but just sounds like its missing weight that should be there. I think im using the biggest ear thingies but i'll check the box.

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 26
IEMs are not going to produce the feel of bass that you get from full-size drivers... you may be one of the folks who just aren't compatible with in-ears.

There are portable supra-aural options that may suit you, though the isolation will be markedly worse.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #10 of 26
If you think that the SF5 Pro have no bass you either have a defective pair or you are not getting a good seal. Or, you prefer the bloated Sony bass (there are a few on here that do). Of all the IEMs I have tried, the SF5 Pro has one of the strongest bass response.

May 6, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think that the SF5 Pro have no bass you either have a defective pair or you are not getting a good seal. Or, you prefer the bloated Sony bass (there are a few on here that do). Of all the IEMs I have tried, the SF5 Pro has one of the strongest bass response.

Well, one of the things that turned me off about the SF 5 Pro after having owned them for a while was looking at Ultimate Ears website and seeing that the Super.Fi series phones are specifically tuned for different musical styles. What kind of marketing garbage is that? i got them as a gift and had no idea that the ones I got were tuned for "Rock / Pop"

I want all of my headphones regardless of my taste to be tuned to "Flat" and only "Flat". So what IEM's accomplish that? If any.

May 6, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 26
SFP's are considered somewhat bass heavy. If it is still not enough for you your options are limited because nothing gets much bassier than that. I would try Super Fi EB's and if that still doesn't cut it you are not an IEM guy.

May 6, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JwY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call them really heavy, but it's definitely present compared to some other IEMs. Less than the SE530 though.

IMHO i think the super fi 5 pro have louder bass than the se530!

dont get me wrong, the se530's produce deeper bass, but the deeper the bass goes, the quieter it gets, this is the same scenario with all headphones as the lower end bass gets more difficult to produce.

what gives the super fi 5 pro louder bass is the thumping mid bass it produces. im talking between 60 and 200hz, its banging. what makes the se530 better in the low end is the ability to produce sub bass better 50hz down, ive experienced 30hz tones easy with the shures then it gets very difficult to hear too many hz lower (although i think a 22hz tone is audible...just),impressive low end. the super fi's on the other hand are not too clean in the sub bass and as a result gives loud mid bass not deep bass, very prominent...i would say its your fit letting you down, its unlikely both earpeices have a failed low end driver or cabling.

if your convinced they dont produce bass try a test tone CD if you have access to one and see if they are producing sound in the low end, dont blast the source tho it shouldnt be needed to do so and could create distortion. you must remember tho as far as impact goes...in ear phones rarely will give you the power of full size speakers or headphones. IEM's are all dependant on quality rather than quantity, remember these are speakers that are tiny, how much do you expect them to kick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back