Not happy w/ super.fi 5 pros
Oct 22, 2007 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mjg132

New Head-Fier
i got these today and theres just no volume to these things
frown.gif

The music i listen to is varied and not being an audiophile of any description i'm prob. gonna get some flaming,but i hope you can help,do i need an amp for this set up?
I've got a platinum pro soundcard hooked up to logitech 5.1 speaker set and the earphones coming out the the jack on the middle speaker that controls volume/fader/center and matrix,as i already wrote, any other headphones are louder ....but am i missing the point?
The music IS being reproduced at it's original sound after all,and to my opinion,very neutrally,if i do need an AMP,im happy to buy one for the sake of a better and more clear sound.
Thanks guys,but please be gentle
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 16
Have you tried hooking them up to other headphone jacks to see what the volume is like? I use my Super.Fi 5 Pros with an iPod classic and laptop headphone out. On both the volume is more than enough.

BTW, once you have resolved this small issue you will be blown away, they sound frickin amazing.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 16
Welcome to Head-fi.

You definitely do not need an amp (stick around for a while though and you'll certainly own one - or a few). The super.fi's should sound just fine without one.

There could be an issue with the master mix volume on your computer, but it's tough to say what could be causing the issue.

I would certainly echo J.D.N.'s recommendation to try them with another source. Just be careful to have the volume turn down when you start the music, then gradually turn it up.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 16
That shouldn't be right. These headphones have as much volume as anyone needs. As to sound, try EQing.

If what you're upset by is the lack of bass, well, that's another matter.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:52 PM Post #6 of 16
Lack of bass? You're kidding. Something is wrong here, you are deaf, or perhaps you need the EB's. Not familiar with the headphone output of your Logitech setup, but usually, they would be powerful enough to make you deaf.

But, yeah next step is to try a dedicated headphone amp.

-Ed

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #8 of 16
Perhaps you don't have them in your ears properly? If they do not form a tight seal, the sound won't come out properly and the volume may sound low. The SF5pro do not need an amp, but sound better with one, however I don't think that is your problem at all. I would recommend trying them with a different source or plug them directly into your sound card. But I think the issue here is how you have them placed in your ears.

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #9 of 16
try plugging into a portable mp3 player, make sure the volume is LOW and gradually turn it up. These are very loud earphones

Oct 22, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lack of bass? You're kidding. Something is wrong here, you are deaf, or perhaps you need the EB's. Not familiar with the headphone output of your Logitech setup, but usually, they would be powerful enough to make you deaf.

-Ed

I actually do have the EBs. They were a dramatic improvement in the bass department. Now, if the EBs don't have enough bass *then* something is wrong.

I agree on the volume though.

Oct 22, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 16
i know for a fact that these can and will blow your ears off due to their low impedance + high sensitivity. I barely go above the first two clicks on the Master Volume and Wave (straight out of laptop), with the TBAAM it will blow your head off at 2 clicks and needs to be dropped to one each.

Either way, I'm sure most of us would simply recommend connecting straight the soundcard for the purest signal

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #13 of 16
How about waiting for the guy to respond and stop repeating other people's posts and remarks?
tongue.gif

Just my thoughts.

-Jo

Oct 23, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Its more fun when waiting isn't involved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back