Not happy at all....ppa diamond buffer questions
Jun 9, 2004 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tbdoah

500+ Head-Fier
My OTL32 -> W1000 simply isn't making me happy. The mids are so clean and detailed, but the bass is extremely lacking and the highs are bright, very bright.

I don't know what it is, to be honest. Any suggestions/comments on this would be greatly appreciated.

As for the diamond buffer - has anybody tried this with the W1000?

Either way, I'd like to audition a diamond buffer ppa. If someone is willing to send me an amp for a period of ONE week, I don't know how I could ever repay them for the kindness and gratefulness.

Thanks all
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 10
Oh good from the Title of this thread I thought you had a problem with a PPA with a Diamond Buffer, Hopefully you can get a listen to one from someone in your area.

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 10
edit. Though you had a ppa and were looking to add just the diamond buffer.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamdone
The brightness could also be due to the opamp you are using.

tube amps don't usually have opamps.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 10
The PPA is a nightmare and has got more "options" than a call centre........ I gave up on it after a week. Keep it simple and keep it real....... go for a Class A design without the bells and whistles.

Jun 9, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 10
Maybe not with the W1000 pinkie. As I've written in a couple of other threads, it's about the least woody wood phone you can imagine in terms of sound. It's almost like listening to an ER-4S with a wider soundstage. 'cold' comes to mind.

The guy who bought my RKV (who also bought my W1000) recently confirmed he did find the RKV (with presumably the impedanzer) a good match. I would also postulate that a 'fat' solid state amp like the Ray Samuels XP-7 might bring out the W1000 a bit too.

I've not built/bought a PPA with the enhancements so I can't comment on the bass boost, etc... but in the case of the W1000, it might not be a bad idea.

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
The PPA is a nightmare and has got more "options" than a call centre........ I gave up on it after a week. Keep it simple and keep it real....... go for a Class A design without the bells and whistles.

Pink Floyd> The PPA is designed from the onset as a DIY project and thus the Bells and whistles are what the DIY community wanted. As far as simple yes the PPA can be made as simple or as complex as you wish it to be. The diamond buffer option is just a continuing improvement upon the amp. This like the aos DAC and cross feed are indeed modules or Daughter boards as some call them and you can elect to not include them if so desired. Also you can omit the Bass boost option also however I suspect that a lot of PPA users like the Bass Boost feature. Oh yes the PPA Really is a Headphone Amplifier Really it is! Honest You can actually plug headphones in to it, there is an option for that also.
3000smile.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

The PPA is a nightmare and has got more "options" than a call centre........

Grab the schematic.
Figure out what parts you need to order.
Visit tangents site for selection advice and even part numbers.
Ask questions in the DIY section of you need more help.....Solder the stuff together...... Bingo.
Even with the default component values you are going to end up with one very nice amp.
How is that a nightmare?
Some of us rather enjoy spending hours ordering parts.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back