Not feeling my new headphones. How long should i keep trying ? (HD630VB)
Jan 20, 2019 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Novaldex

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

Some days ago, i bought a pair of sennheiser hd630vb to be able to listen to music while i'm out, and for watching movies.

When i came home and plugged them for the first time, i have to say the disappointement was immense, and i was quite confused. All i was hearing were mids, and the sound seemed distant, somehow. I could get plenty of volume, even from my iphone, but they never sounded engaging. Everything is there, but it all sounds weird to me.

I've owned a DT770/80, MDR1A, HD595 in no particular order, and that's the first time this is happening to me.

Thing is, when keep listening to them, they start to make sense. But every time i'm listening to my desk speakers, and i switch to the hd630, i can't help but think ugh that sounds weird.

I'm sorry if i'm not making much sense.

TLDR : Bought some HD630VB, don't like them so far. How long should i keep listening to them before deciding i don't like them ?

Jan 20, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 6
Man I'd send them back immediately. If a headphone is your thing, it clicks immediately, or at least that same day after an hour or so. I bet you didn't have to "adjust" to that MDR-1A, did you? I've never heard the 1A but the 1AM2 is among my favorites. So much so that it made me go out and pick up the Z7M2 at triple the price. I sat around with it for a month before I finally admitted to myself I liked the 1AM2 more and sent them back. Used that money to fund the purchase of the IER-M9 which I absolutely adore and did so from the second I stuffed them in my ears and hit play.

Jan 20, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I disagree with the above post.
Yeah, sometimes I get headphones and immediately have that "Ooohh!" feeling, but sometimes it can take a fair amount of listening before I can really get into them. I recently got some IEMs and was struggling with them for about a week and then slowly I started to realize how good they are. It took me about two years to realize how good the PM-3 can be.

It sounds to me like you kind of like them, but in comparison to your other 'phones and speakers they sound different. My advice is to listen to the new headphones exclusively for as long as your return period will allow and try to not compare them to your other headphones/speakers. I know turning off your inner critic can be hard, but try not to think about whether or not you prefer one aspect or another on your other headphones, but let the HD 630VB stand on their own, as a cohesive whole.

I think the best piece of critical listening advice I've read is to not try and pick aspect of a headphone apart; but to listen to the music, relax, and see how they make you feel.

Of course, if you don't like them, you don't like them; and if you want to just return them, go ahead and do that-- but if it were me, I'd want to take a little bit of time with them to see if I can make them work.

Jan 20, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 6
Headphones are often disappointing at first. There is a whole thread on Headfi about the most disappointing headphones people have purchased. Some headphones take time to 'burn in' whereas others have only a short burn in period. While this is going on your ears and brain are adjusting to something that itself is changing. It can be months before you find out what a headphone is and whether it's for you, other headphones might reveal themselves in a few hours or a week. One advantage of used purchasing is you only need to transition from your current equipment to the purchase. How much of your personal time you are prepared to invest in a headphone is for each person to judge.

Jan 21, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #6 of 6
A similar thing happened to me when I bought Beyerdynamic T70P a couple years ago. At first I thought "where is the bass on this headphone" and "this headphone is no better than DT880" and concluded "this headphone is way overpriced" and was generally unhappy with it. I gave it a chance however and the more I used it, the more I realised that it was indeed a very good headphone.
Some headphones just need to be understood more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back