Not enjoying the HD280 PROs on one particular song
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TLoFP

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I didn't know where to post this so I put it into the help forum. This is probably a very silly question, but I just don't know enough about audio equipment to solve this one myself.

I own the HD280 PROs and KOSS RUK30 phones. I power them via the FiiO E10K. First of all I love the HD280s and would always rank them above the RUK30s by a long shot. They are very revealing and a pleasure to listen to classical music with them. The KOSS just seem to muddle everything up. What I don't understand is that I simply can not enjoy the song "Korn - Did My Time" on the HD280s. The emotion in the song just does not come across. I always switch to the KOSS when I want to listen to this particular song.

What could cause the HD280s, otherwise great headphones, to fall so short on a song that is over-compressed and not melodically complicated.

Thanks - T

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 5
I know I asked a pretty awkward question. But there has to be some science, some reason behind this. After all the pro's describe headphones as "fun" or "stale". What does that mean? Are my KOSS more "fun"?

- T

Jan 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #4 of 5
I tried to think of a response yesterday, but unless I had the exact two headphones to compare on that song (which I don't), then I couldn't come up with anything meaningful. It could be something science can explain, or, it could just be inside your own head. Psychoacoustics is a very powerful driver of what we perceive, and you very well could have taken a small difference and built it into much more than it really is. I also think it could be something very specific in the sound that is triggering your emotional response - something that sounds a particular way on the Koss and differently on the Senns. I just don't think this is a question that can be answered only with science.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back