Not enjoying the CA Atlas: single-DD IEMs to replace them? Less bass, more balanced tone with punch
Dec 3, 2019 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pott

100+ Head-Fier
The music styles I like require punchy/dynamic sounds (Technical metal genres... or Chanson Francaise), but it turns out I am NOT a basshead.

I got them on the cheap and figured, even though I knew they were bassy, they couldn't be all THAT much. But they are. Oh they are so, so much. I really don't like how the bass overpowers EVERYTHING. I thought maybe they'd be fun; I'm not used to bass-heavy headphones but that's the trend, so worth a try.

But no. Not my sound AT ALL here.

The Atlas fit me ok-ish with foams, which is a miracle in itself. I don't like how it sticks out of my ears but I like that putting them on is NOT a process.

I am looking for single-drivers IEMs that'd replace the Atlas, and complement what I have:
* Etymotic ER4XR
* Noble (x Massdrop) K10

Source is Spotify (all highest quality) and an AudioQuest DragonFly Red.
I like a mostly balanced sound, though I do enjoy a nice midrange and treble: virtually all my stuff is guitar-oriented.

I don't think much about budget, though I'd certainly prefer something cheaper than the Atlas! Something with the same nozzle size ideally, so that I can use the same Comply foam tips I need.

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the sony ex800st may fit the bill but it has its own problems. Nearly no isolation and the fit is hit or miss. An other balanced single DD that comes to my mind is the Final Audio E2000 or E3000 (more bass than E2000) but these are also semi open.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Actually listened to some technical metal now (not my music :) ) and I can imagine that the Atlas kills it. There's so much bass in the mix of the Atheist "Piece of time", that my A&K T8iE II and modded JVC FD02 have too much bass and they are not really bass-head IEMs.

I have the EX800ST and it might work, it's a very textured and balanced IEM, but it does hardly isolate.

Dec 6, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Ok, I gave the Atheist "Piece of time" another listen and compared the IEMs.
(I have to say this is totally not my kind of music, so I am judging it kind of from an "outside" position)

IMO the EX800ST is too brutally honest and textured, and the music sounds extremely intense. There is too much "detail" for my ears and brain to cope with.
I was expecting the flatter bass to bring the vocals more to the front, but they are still recessed in the mix, it seems the upper bass/lower mids have too much energy and overpower the vocal range.

The modded JVC FD02 (or FDX1) is smoother and has a fuller deep bass with less upper bass. That actually works much better IMO, giving more slam to the drums and guitar without being harsh.
The vocals are actually clearer like that, overall clarity is significantly higher. The overall signature is darker, which works better IMO.

The A&K T8iE MKII has more mid-bass and is even darker and warmer than the FD02.
Th IEM itself has a very high level of detail, but I find the more Harman tuned FD02 to work better as it gives the vocals more room to breathe.

Bootomline
A smoother, more Harman tuned signature works best for me.
The JVC FDX1 would be a good choice IMO, but you'd have to get a used one or wait for the next drop.

Based on frequency response, reviews and my experiences with the Moondrop Kanas Pro, the Moondrop KXXS should be a good value as well, above that the Tanchijm Oxygen and the Moondrop Blessing should be good choices, and below I'd consider a Tin Hifi T4.

Dec 6, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #6 of 6
You might still be a basshead. Try the IER-M9 if you can. It is BA, but has deep punchy bass without bloat or muddiness like the Atlas has. It's similar to the Campfire Andromeda, but with bass and a little less treble. I like bass extension and punch, but I hate muddiness. The only IEMs that Campfire Audio makes that I wouldn't consider having muddy bass are the Andromeda. The Atlas is the worst for muddiness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back