Not another Florida thread! Ft. Lauderdale Dec 5th, 09
Dec 12, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #61 of 63
btw, anyone find a extra power cord? i think i left my jellyfish power cord or someone snaked it by mistake.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #62 of 63
A little off topic, but I'd like to make a few comments on the mixed impressions of the HE-5's here. I've had a pair of these almost a week now, and so far I'm very, very impressed.

As Wayne mentioned, his pair had essentially no break-in time. These don't appear to need a lot of time, but they began to improve after about three hours and were much better after about ten.

I have an amp that is very similar to Collin's (triode wired 7788, spud configuration, Electra-Print output transformers). Based on this thread, I chose this amp for the first few hours of listening. Very nice, but at 1.25w maximum, a bit underpowered for the job. The HE-5 is not a power hog like the K1000, but it definately needs more than the usual headphone. After the 7788 spud, I switched to my big GM70 DHT amp (Vicki- it still exists and you will see it again). Major improvements all across the board. I've been around audio most of my life, and in general I'm a sceptic and a cynic about the latest FOTM. Properly amped, these are wonderful headphones. Next meet you guys have, I hope someone runs them off a Moth, or some similar small DHT based speaker amp. I think you'll like what you hear.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #63 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched to my big GM70 DHT amp (Vicki- it still exists and you will see it again).

biggrin.gif
Thank goodness! Still one of the best amps I've ever heard. I thought it was dead and gone. Glad I had that wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back