Not achieving your goals....
May 29, 2007 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cylanes

100+ Head-Fier
If you do your very very best at something...but somehow, someway you don`t achieve your goal. Is that bad??

I don`t really want to completely explain my situation. But I did my best but not passed a exam at work, which could lead to you know. Cause I`m learning on the job.

frown.gif

May 29, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #2 of 11
Not at all. Failure is positive as long as you've done your best and have learned something from it. I'd encourage you to read autobiographies of successful people. Almost all of them endured very significant failures at some stage of their life. Warren Buffett even chose to name his company (Berkshire Hathaway) after his greatest investment mistake. It's not something to be ashamed of.

May 29, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 11
A goal is just an idea of what needs to be accomplished. The longer the term of the goal is, the more obstacles you have. If you stumble along the way, the goal is still achievable if you get back up on your feet and keep at it. The best thing about life is that you have time to succeed at something you previously fell down with. That's if you want to get back up on that horse....goals can also change to new directions
icon10.gif

May 29, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A goal is just an idea of what needs to be accomplished. The longer the term of the goal is, the more obstacles you have. If you stumble along the way, the goal is still achievable if you get back up on your feet and keep at it. The best thing about life is that you have time to succeed at something you previously fell down with. That's if you want to get back up on that horse....goals can also change to new directions
icon10.gif

I know I have to get back on the horse, but at the moment I feel like I`m not capable, I feel even a bit disappointed in myself in a way. Even I know did my best. But in time I`ll get over it, I hope.

May 30, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by cylanes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know I have to get back on the horse, but at the moment I feel like I`m not capable, I feel even a bit disappointed in myself in a way. Even I know did my best. But in time I`ll get over it, I hope.

Yeah, disappointment is definitely hard....and sometimes it does take time to "get back on the horse". But think of this as a lesson: probably when you look back in a few years you'll know what was wrong. Perhaps it's fate letting you find something better. Whatever it is, sounds like you should do something fun to get your mind off of things
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 11
Why do we fall? So we can learn to get up again.

Batman all the way.

May 30, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #7 of 11
I think someone once said that it is our failuers, not our successes who define who we are. Anyone can ride high and feel great when success brushes up against us. That's not a real test of who we are, not what we're made of. Failures humble us and show us something about ourselves. Did we really try hard enough? Did we try and take a shortcut? Did we simply do nothing and expect positive results? Did you do everything in your power, yet simply bite off more than you could chew? Did you freeze/panic under pressure?

Learn from what happened, remedy anything that you can, and commit to doing better next time.

May 30, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 11
I've learned that there are few of us who really "give our best" period, succeed or fail.

If you've given your best, you absolutely have nothing to feel bad about. You're going to have limitations in life, that's just the way it is. But if you're maximizing your own ability (including learning from your mistakes), you should be proud of that. Not only are you pushing your boundaries, but you'll have an idea of what you're really capable of.

So many people claim they have the potential to do this or that, which is worth exactly zero if you don't prove it.

Good luck...keep pushing yourself hard.

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Persistence is a huge factor. Ray Croc, the guy who created the McDonald’s version of the fast food chain believed that you don’t have to be smart. The most important thing is being persistent despite many failures. Eventually you’ll find something good or at least decent.

I believe this is true. Many successful people have flaws and many are even idiots. But they reached some level of success from persistence and of course luck is a factor too but good luck can increase from persistence.

Of course, it’s easier said than done. It can be psychologically stressful staying persistent, staying focused and enduring negative experiences. And you may possibly have to avoid getting married, having kids or even having a girlfriend/boyfriend or normal social life in order to find that initial success.

Lastly, it also doesn’t hurt having a wealthy family. Some people have the help from money and already formed networked connections from successful family members.

Dec 18, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #11 of 11
It's 14 years later now, married and two kids. A good steady job.

Still jack of all trades and master of none. But I am happy with my life.

Almost almost found head-fi satisfaction :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back