Nostalgia for really bad audio?
Feb 21, 2007 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
Sometimes I get the feeling that some music (old jazz that's probably badly recorded comes to mind) is given more authenticity when played through really low end speakers that sound like FM radio. It sort of feels as if a gramophone were playing the music in early 1900's. It gives the music much more mood and context, in my opinion. Just wanting to see what other people thought of the idea.

Feb 21, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 4
i always bust out my old cassette player with tinny speakers to listen to my old Thelonious Monk tapes. i've never heard very well recorded stuff by him, and it just brings me back (ok i'm really young, so brings me back to when i was 7) to when i first heard his music. i think i'll give 'em a go right now, actually.
wink.gif

np: Thelonious Monk - April In Paris

Feb 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i always bust out my old cassette player with tinny speakers to listen to my old Thelonious Monk tapes. i've never heard very well recorded stuff by him, and it just brings me back (ok i'm really young, so brings me back to when i was 7) to when i first heard his music. i think i'll give 'em a go right now, actually.
wink.gif

np: Thelonious Monk - April In Paris

Huh? I have lots of excellent sounding Monk recordings on SACD, CD, vinyl and even MP3. Try "Blues for Tomorrow" from Monk and Coltrane's 1957 Live Riverside album. You can listen to a sample on eMusic. It sounds absolutely fantastic, even as an MP3 and the record's even better. Monk peaked during the golden era of hifi, all tube equipment, 30 ips half track masters, no multi-tracking etc. Jazz recordings from that era challenge the best audiophile recordings of today. Come on man, you're using his name and image as you moniker and avatar on an audiophile site, don't knock the quality of his recordings. That's down right sacrilegious in my book.

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 4
I hear you. When you have way improved equipment, you hear things again "for the first time." Sometimes, you want to hear it as you did back when. Your equipment was, to you, the piece de resistance back then and helped to make you who you are now -- hanging out on Head Fi no less. Back then, it was all about the music even if we only heard the half of it. That's why we're here, methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back