NOS DAC - Marketing BS?
Aug 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #121 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Altmann. You really trust someone mounting digital chips on wood ?

Wood is terrible! It is a fire hazard. One electric spike may ignite the whole thing. The most common material for quality gear is fiberglass epoxy such as FR4, and "FR" stand for "Fire Retardant". The materials do not ignite.

Secondary issues are:

Wood collects moisture over time and changes the resistance which may impact performance.

It is unpredictable in the sense that different pieces are not the same.

Stay away from wood for mounting electric devices. It may look pretty but It is irresponsible and a potential fire hazard.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #122 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dan, maybe you could comment on passive I/V conversion vs opamps as it is thought that no opamp is the best opamp. Also, what are your thoughts on the use of Pulse Transformers at the input of a dac?

Pulse transformer: They are there for a reason. In fact, pro gear (AES/EBU) electric connections REQUIRE a transformer in the signal path. I am referring "electric" as opposed to say optical connections where the signal is isolated between driver and receiver by optical means (light pipe).

So why a transformer?

First, it is a way to isolate gear (source and destination) grounds. When you have 2 pieces of gear (separate chassis), the ground potentials may be different. If you connect the grounds (such as for signal return path), you end up with potential ground loop currents. That un intended activity "adds to" the signal itself. Often it is line frequency or twice the line frequency, but it can be due to other sources as well. The transformer "breaks" that direct connection between grounds.

Second, when using transformers, one can (and really should with a good circuit) take advantage of the enhanced common mode advantage they offer. Transformers is one of the ways to achieve "balanced connection". One makes both sides (there are 2 wires in your cable) "look the same". give The wire pair in the cable already "looks the same" (they are in the same space, nearby and parallel to each other). If you happen to pick up an electric disturbance, and both sides pick the same amount, the transformer does not pass that energy from the input winding to the output winding.

Why? If both sides of a winding "jump up" by 100V simultaneously, the voltage DIFFERANCE between both sides is un effected, so the current stays the same, and there is no change in the magnetic filed, so the secondary coil is not impacted. We call it common mode rejection - common mode for both sides impacted together "in common". There are also some down side to using transformers. A lot of it is about good circuit design. As a rule, pulse transformers is a good thing, at the hand of a good designer.

The I to V question will take a very long answer. many of the better DA's internal circuits are based on steering currents, not voltages. Well, the end result may be a DA circuit that has an output where the signal is given as a current source, and not a voltage source. So one needs at some point to convert the current (I) to voltage (V).

When you use a passive circuit, you are up against a number of problems. You need to come up with a current source that is capable of operating well (no distortions) while the voltage across the circuit changes all the time (with the signal). When you use an OPamp, the current source is working into a virtual ground, but now you have to deal with whatever limitations the OPamp has. To answer that, one has to look at specific implementations and circuits.

At this point in time, I would say that trying to save an OPamp is like looking at one tree in a large forest. The audio signal first appears at the output of the mic, and by the time you hear it, chances are that it passed through dozens and possible hundreds of circuits such as an OPamp. In fact, inside the micpre, the AD, the DA, the power amp... there are a lot of such circuits. You do not see them, unless you get into the inner details of circuits such as AD and DA, but they are there.

Folks are confused. An Opamp is mostly about PAKAGING of an electronic circuit, mostly for lower current voltage and power applications. The discrete parts circuits we used to make out of transistors and FETS, we can get prepackaged, with much better components matching and so on. Yes. opamps have limitations, but when a designer makes sure NOT to go up against the limitations, you end up well.

Also, there is that false notion floating around that less parts is better. Often such is the case, but there are huge number of cases where the opposite is true. Say you want to amplify by 1000 (60dB). Say you single device can only do a good job of it up to a gain of 10, and then it really falls apart. The intelligent solution is to use 3 devices in series (10 X 10 X 10 =1000). But someone in this crazy audio industry will sell a one device solution with notion that with one device you are doing less to the signal. It is not the "device count" that matters to what you do to the audio. It is the end result that counts and often it requires more devices.

Simplistic thinking yields to very wrong conclusions. Also, the subject of "good opamp" vs. "bad opamp" just wrong. There are opamps that are bad under all conditions, but as a rule, an opamp has to be fitted to a circuit and the circuit fitted to the opamp. Say opamp A is good at circuit 1, and opamp B is good at circuit 2. You switch opamps and both circuits may be real bad. So which opamp is good or bad?

When folks hear an opamp in one or very few locations of limited numbers of specific designs (often one location in one design), they should not generalize that it is “good” or “bad”. Such favorite pass time ends up with much spread of questionable "findings", and many get miss informed. My advice, do not be "active circuit shy". This day and age, a passive I/V still needs to be buffered by a number of active circuits (opamp or not) before it gets to your ear. You can not connect directly to a passive I/V without causing much damage to the signal. The question is how good of an I to V can you make. It is not about saving a single opamp, which is usually the argument for passive.

I do have to “hold back” a lot of sensitive information from potential competitors. I hope what I said is helpful to you.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #123 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by 00940 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honnestly, I think that Mr Lavry is actually a model of restraint by taking the time to explain what is wrong with the paper of Kusunoki. Most professionals would simply shrug it off after calling it a bunch of crap. I mean... just read this: PSW Recording Forums: Dan Lavry => Why do Non Oversampling Filterless DAC sound so good

Wow, a forum that it's actually against the rules to talk about what gear sounds like!

Aug 30, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #124 of 345
that is excellent, thanks for the link

Aug 31, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #125 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranchu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, a forum that it's actually against the rules to talk about what gear sounds like!

Yes, I was the moderator and it was a forum about the technology used to make the sound. The idea was to keep the subjective opinions out, and keep commercial motivated posts out so that we can concentrate on objective technical facts. Here is the COMPLETE set of rules of that forum:

"This forum is about the why and how of audio technology. It is about the electronic and electromechanical bridge between musician and listener.

This forum is not about musical content
This forum is not about musical tastes, likes and dislikes
This forum is not about subjective opinions
This forum is not about artistic likes or dislikes
This forum is not about the mechanics of the ear and brain

Many users of audio gear, both professionals audiophiles, are looking for answers. While some are satisfied with recommendations and reviews, others wish for more. Many are thirsty for greater knowledge and understanding regarding the why and what makes gear work.

Deeper technical knowledge is a good thing. Users and buyers of gear are surrounded by a barrage of advertisements, articles, and opinions, from good advice to false statements. Equipped with better foundations, one can better sort through the seemingly endless information flow. There are other forums dealing with what sounds good, a key for good music production. The goal of this forum is to improve our technical understanding, which also helps achieve better end results."

So why did you say what you did?

Regards
Dan Lavry
Lavry Engineering

Aug 31, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #126 of 345
Surprise!

I wondered if you guys beat people in the streets for it, like taliban! I didn't realize it was only that subforum, rather than all of them there. Makes more sense now, thanks for clearing it up!

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #128 of 345
Quote:

If you think that's bad, try the hydrogenaudio forums. They actually require you to substantiate your hypotheses with *gasp* double-blind studies!

Aug 31, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #129 of 345
Shouldn't this discussion be posted under the "Sound Science Forum", it seems plenty scientific to me.

One thing I never understood about this topic, is doesn't it matter what type of sampling was done in the A/D and mastering process before you can decide what the correct type of D/A conversion is best for that piece of music.

Using the camera analogy, isn't that why cameras add metadata to each picture?

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #130 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you think that's bad, try the hydrogenaudio forums. They actually require you to substantiate your hypotheses with *gasp* double-blind studies!

Yes I've seen it. I've done my share of geekery, so I know a geek party when I see one. Nothing wrong with it but it never seems to arrive anywhere. Just a lot of posting and some shots at The Others. Guess what, I can hear the difference between wav and flac. Also, different usb cords sound different.

k701smile.gif

"Aw wait, no wait, he didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"

lol!

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #131 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shouldn't this discussion be posted under the "Sound Science Forum", it seems plenty scientific to me.

One thing I never understood about this topic, is doesn't it matter what type of sampling was done in the A/D and mastering process before you can decide what the correct type of D/A conversion is best for that piece of music.

Using the camera analogy, isn't that why cameras add metadata to each picture?

A well-implemented D/A conversion should put out superb renditions of any piece of music. The question is whether NOS DACs provide the value and quality their makers claim. Unfortunately they don't hold a candle to any but the most modest solutions found in today's audio gear. Fortunately, however, systems using high-quality dac units are much cheaper today. That's not to say that any particular NOS DAC is grossly inadequate, but claims of even competing with performance from modern filtering/oversampling methods are fraudulent.

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #132 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by anetode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A well-implemented D/A conversion should put out superb renditions of any piece of music. The question is whether NOS DACs provide the value and quality their makers claim. Unfortunately they don't hold a candle to any but the most modest solutions found in today's audio gear. Fortunately, however, systems using high-quality dac units are much cheaper today. That's not to say that any particular NOS DAC is grossly inadequate, but claims of even competing with performance from modern filtering/oversampling methods are fraudulent.

Here's some traces of Altmann's NOS ADC!

The Altmann Creation ADC

Good for drum tracks I'd imagine.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:55 AM Post #133 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can answer your question. But you suggested that the discussion may belong under "sound science forum".

The answer to your question is best approached from a technical stand point - the principles of how and why things work or do not work, and such answer will provide general and universal guide lines.

That does not mean not to listen. The facts about technology of sound recording and reproduction ("how it works" and "why so") do shed light regarding the CAUSE of what one hears. If you know that a NOS knocks down the upper audio, we ARE talking about how it will sound. You may wish to still listen, or you may just decide that you do not want to bother with it. But it is good to know, to the best of one's ability, what is going on, and what you are listening to, and way it sounds the way it does.

Technological explanations are not about not listening. The are about WHY it sounds the way it does, and How it works. But I get the impression that some folks here do not want to know. It is their loss. It also may be a waste of my time. I am in my mid 60's and I am more into learning then I ever was. I prefer to assume that most people are like I, and do care to grow and learn.

Regards
Dan Lavry

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #134 of 345
Quote:

Yes I've seen it. I've done my share of geekery, so I know a geek party when I see one. Nothing wrong with it but it never seems to arrive anywhere. Just a lot of posting and some shots at The Others. Guess what, I can hear the difference between wav and flac. Also, different usb cords sound different.

k701smile.gif

"Aw wait, no wait, he didn't just say what I think he did, did he?"

lol!

It may surprise you but some technical guy, such as I, can explain to you in great detail some (if not all) the physics and engineering mechanisms that are the CAUSE of what makes a cable (and many other things) sound different, under what circumstances, and what kind of sonics are due to various causes, and often who to fix or improve much of it.

But why should I? You said that geeky things lead no where. You take pride in your own ear. You have little room or respect for geeky things like the technology behind what you hear.

Dan Lavry

Aug 31, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #135 of 345
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Lavry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may surprise you but some technical guy, such as I, can explain to you in great detail some (if not all) the physics and engineering mechanisms that are the CAUSE of what makes a cable (and many other things) sound different, under what circumstances, and what kind of sonics are due to various causes, and often who to fix or improve much of it.

But why should I? You said that geeky things lead no where. You take pride in your own ear. You have little room or respect for geeky things like the technology behind what you hear.

Dan Lavry

As I said before, Dan, you do as you like!

As for me I like to listen, I do not 'take pride'. Geeking is fine with me, as I also said, I've done my share. Just not very useful for me in a practical sense, ie, do I enjoy my music more with this dac, or that one. I have linked to scope traces showing clear superiorities of NOS over OS. We both know there are serious downsides, too. How will I know which is 'better' for me? I will have to listen.

I'm sorry that you do not understand, or don't like my point of view.

Have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back