NOS DAC love?
Nov 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
I do NOT understand non-oversamping, upsampling etc...the technology gets lost on me.

But I have two NOS DACs: a Devilsound, and a Moodlab Concept. The Devilsound is being fed from my PowerMac and is hooked up to either my integrated Rotel and Paradigm speakers, OR my Millet Hybrid headphone amp. I'm using the Concept as a DAC for my Airport Express (using optical), and it's hooked up with my Marantz receiver and Dynaco speakers. I really enjoy the SQ of NOS DACs. While they each have their own differences in SQ, I find they're engaging, fun and warm.

Anyone else agree?

*puts on flame retardant suit*

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 5
I've used a very fine German Lake-People 24/96 Studio-grade dac for years. I wanted to try something different, so I purchased a Promitheus Solid State NOS Dac with a hand-wound transformer. It *is* a difference, and a delightful one over signal straight to the preamp. I added to it a old ZySys Reclocker that I fluked into. The digital output is upsampled to 48khz and anti-dithering is applied by the ZySys. Then that digital signal runs through the Promitheus Dac, and it sounds wonderful, smooth, impactful. I'm certain that our resident audio-scientists and skeptics would point out that, though these devices *change* the sound, they do not necessarily improve it in any objective, measurable way (other than, perhaps, a 41mhz cd signal being *translated* into 48mhz).

And I wouldn't dare fight over it. My subjective response is that the digital signal has never sounded so good in my system.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a Lite DAC-AH that I have heavily modded (upgraded caps, resistors, power supply electrolytics, passive output) and I absolutely love it! It is so engaging and resolving. I also owned a Constantine USB + in the past and enjoyed it for it's warmth, but sold it because it didn't present the details like an OS DAC could. Since then, I have stayed away from NOS DACs thinking they were all the same. On a whim...and because used Lite DAC-AHs are cheap now...I bought the Lite and modded it. I'm a big believer in NOS again.
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me google that for you

DUDE!

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the technology gets lost on me.

I read 18+ pages of a NOS DAC thread a while back...totally confused me. Therefore, I do not want to hurt my wee little brain anymore
biggrin.gif

I won't sit here and believe the snake oil that some companies write as to why NOS supposedly is better. I know BS when I see it. I just like how they sound. That's all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back