Northwest Passage by Oregon
May 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I am blown alway by them.  Sounds so great. I love listening to them on my Sony x1051 with Re0.  So detailed. This is the type of music should be heard on IEM, not full size cans.  Can anyone recommend me similar sounding artists?  

May 14, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 4
This is one of my all time favorite albums as well. Really well recorded, and great musicians. Oregon has a long history as a recording group, so you should look into their other recordings. A favorite of mine is "Live at Yoshi's". As a former classical guitarist, I have a soft spot for Ralph Towner, the guitarist of the group. He has done several recordings solo and with other artists. One of my favorites is his collaboration with double-bass player Gary Peacock on the CD "A Closer View" on the ECM label. Speaking of ECM, this is a great label for this genre of music, and a good place to do great musical discoveries. Also, the quality of their recordings are always top notch! Just my 10 cents...

May 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 4
I love the classic Oregon albums.

A few relatively recent releases worth checking out, just from the top of my head:

Trilok Gurtu and Arke String Quartet, Arkeology (Gurtu was percussionist for Oregon in the 1980s)
Hadouk Trio, Baldamore (world jazz featuring Didier Malherbe from Gong and others)
Ralph Towner and Paolo Fresu, Chiaroscuro (guitar and trumpet duos led by Oregon's guitar master)

And many others...

May 14, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 4
The Restful Mind - Larry Coryell (with Ralph Towner)

Along with all those great old Oregon albums, you might check out older Paul Winter Consort albums - if memory serves a lot of them were in both bands.

- Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back