Northstar M192 DAC (with a few pictures)
May 14, 2007 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

J-Pak

Headphoneus Supremus
northstar1.jpg

northstar4.jpg

northstar2.jpg

northstar3.jpg

Very impressive DAC, I'm very happy with its sound. Biggest improvement over the Lavry is bigger dynamics with a smoother, ever so slightly more laid back sound. And a bit more impact and greater depth to the soundstage. Nice synergy with the HP-2 and K1000.

I can say this will probably be my last DAC upgrade for my headphone rig. I'll probably go back to a balanced CD/DAC combo once I get a speaker setup.

May 15, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the new DAC! I like the shiny faceplate.

X2

it's got rainbow properties in that industrial looking metal faceplate--cool stuff--enjoy it!

May 15, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried using the I2S input? This is the only way to use this DAC.

Did you read this review? This particular reviewer liked the modded version better than my Spoiler DAC. It's really good, but not quite that good IMO:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/e...2/spoiler.html

The Blue LEDS are too bright IMO. I fix that.

I appreciate the feedback and that review was new to me.

However regards to the I2S on the Northstar, I don't have any intent to use it in the near future. Because from what I understand using the I2S won't allow me to use upsampling. I understand your USB to I2S converter does the upsampling through software. My concerns are that I don't want my hifi system to be tied down with software, for example I'm happy with Windows XP but what if I were to switch to Vista or Mac OS X? Also several years down the line the ASIO/software upsampling may be very outdated for whatever the preferred OS is. And according to your site the best version of the software is for use with foobar .8.3 I greatly prefer .9.x interface and features.

As for modding the DAC, I'd like to spend more time with it (it's only 3 days new to me). Ironically I think headphones are a budget version of hifi , so another reason I don't want to go overboard with tweaks.

I don't find the blue LEDs too bright, but I don't listen in total darkness, I prefer to keep the lights dim or leave the kitchen lights on.

May 15, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate the feedback and that review was new to me.

However regards to the I2S on the Northstar, I don't have any intent to use it in the near future. Because from what I understand using the I2S won't allow me to use upsampling. I understand your USB to I2S converter does the upsampling through software. My concerns are that I don't want my hifi system to be tied down with software, for example I'm happy with Windows XP but what if I were to switch to Vista or Mac OS X? Also several years down the line the ASIO/software upsampling may be very outdated for whatever the preferred OS is. And according to your site the best version of the software is for use with foobar .8.3 I greatly prefer .9.x interface and features.

As for modding the DAC, I'd like to spend more time with it (it's only 3 days new to me). Ironically I think headphones are a budget version of hifi , so another reason I don't want to go overboard with tweaks.

I don't find the blue LEDs too bright, but I don't listen in total darkness, I prefer to keep the lights dim or leave the kitchen lights on.

The Northstar transport upsamples to 24/192 through the I2S interface. It's a great transport, the one that I'm recommending now.

Steve N.

May 15, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet... Which DAC(s) does this use?

The older CS4396 D/A chips. They are very musical if the implementation is done well. The thing that sets this DAC apart is the excellent upsampling chips for 24/192.

Steve N.

May 21, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #11 of 22
Congrats, good to know you are in a Musical bliss
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't mind, could you post a small comparison between this and your last Dac (Lavry DA10). In what ways the differ (strong points/weakness), and is running rca from Northstar better then running balanced DA10?

May 21, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunman_csz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, good to know you are in a Musical bliss
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't mind, could you post a small comparison between this and your last Dac (Lavry DA10). In what ways the differ (strong points/weakness), and is running rca from Northstar better then running balanced DA10?

I'll post a small comparison later this evening. I used the Lavry in single ended mode for the last few months since my preamp is SE.

May 24, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll post a small comparison later this evening. I used the Lavry in single ended mode for the last few months since my preamp is SE.

Where is the comparison
icon10.gif

May 24, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Congrats Jpak! We clearly have the same tastes (see my sig), so I'll have to keep that DAC in mind. But for now. Enjoy the music - don't rush to mod or upgrade. Just enjoy it until you feel the need to improve which may be never.
wink.gif

May 25, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by gunman_csz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the comparison
icon10.gif

Sorry I completely forgot.

Very briefly some of the differences:
The Northstar improves on the Lavry mainly with much better dynamics. Both micro and macro dynamics. The DAC is really fun to listen to with rock music. Music becomes much more engaging. The single best improvement.

The entire presentation of the DAC is slightly more laidback than the Lavry. Imaging is just as good as the Lavry.

The Northstar has more soundstage depth, but a little less left to right width. Given the added depth the Northstar sounds a bit more "holographic".

Other than that I think the Lavry is still an exceptional DAC, with the balanced outs and preamp capability it's still a great deal under $1000.

Given the Northstar's retail price of $2500, I'm not sure if I would pay the full sum; I was given a really good deal on it on another forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back