Northstar Aberdeen modified redbook transport.
Sep 16, 2006 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sleestack

Headphoneus Supremus
I use TACT gear in all of my speaker setups, which essentially makes it a waste to have an external DAC b/c everything has to go through the Aberdeen modified TACT DACs anyway. I decided to move my Esoteric P-03/D-03 back in the headphone setup, where I can make use of the D-03. I'll be adding a Transporter to that setup next week. I also decided to dump the Classe Omega SACD2 and Bel Canto PL-1A, as the Classe is severely overmatched by the Esoteric and the PL-1A really serves no purpose with the excellent 5910ci already in my setup.

The one additional piece I did pick up was the Aberdeen modified Northstar Transport. Anyone looking for a CD transport for their DAC should check one out. Aberdeen has them running with virtually no jitter and they have found their way into dozens of high end TACT based setups. I just sent back the silver demo unit I had been trying and ordered a black one. I'll post pictures when it arrives early next week.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 6
i own the North Star M192 DAC (which is fantastic, in my opinion), and i've been saving for the matching transport. how much does the modified unit cost? i'm not sure if modifications would do much for me, though, as i would be able to use the I2S link.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i own the North Star M192 DAC (which is fantastic, in my opinion), and i've been saving for the matching transport. how much does the modified unit cost? i'm not sure if modifications would do much for me, though, as i would be able to use the I2S link.

About $2400 modded. I'm never sure on the exact price, b/c I just send Anthony a bunch of money for gear and his work and we work things out when we need to. Mods are probably not needed in your case. He mods them primarily for TACT users and people who want to use them with a different DAC. Nevertheless, his mods also do cover significant upgrades on parts that don't directly relate to reducing jitter. He always goes nuts on power supplies. I'll keep you in mind if I ever sell mine. I change sources frequently and always try to give head-fiers a significant head-fi discount. My Esoteric combo won't go anywhere, but the Transporters may have me not using the Northstar.

Sep 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 6
hmm, $2400 is significantly less than i expected. i don't know when i'll have the money, but if i happen to have it when/if you decide to sell yours i would indeed very much appreciate that heads up
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
hmm, $2400 is significantly less than i expected. i don't know when i'll have the money, but if i happen to have it when/if you decide to sell yours i would indeed very much appreciate that heads up
smily_headphones1.gif

It may be more, that's just a guess on my part. At most, I would think $2,800. His prices are very reasonable and he always backs his work with relevant measurements and a money back guarantee. His TACT upgrades are widely adopted by TACT users. I"ll defintely pm you if I ever sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back