Northern California (San Mateo) Meet - Feb. 26
Mar 3, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #91 of 105
Quote:

I would have let you borrow the PS1 rather than the HP2

I can be over tomorrow at 9:00am...

j/k j/k
I am actually warming to the more relaxing pace of the HP2s.

Mar 3, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #92 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by toor
I can be over tomorrow at 9:00am...

you want me to be up at 9? but class starts at 10....

Mar 3, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #93 of 105
Quote:

Bringing a Linkn Park CD is apparently only slightly less of a faux pas then owning bose
rolleyes.gif

Hey, I actually ripped that cd off of you. I never really listened to them(too much like a boy-band limp bizkit, who already offend my sensibilities) but I was hoping that recording quality would be as good as the limp bizkit stuff.(which actually is pretty nice, despite the compression) Plus, I am a sucker for "good" nu-metal, an affliction that has led me astray many a time.

It sounds like it was recorded nice, unfortunately someone must have encoded the tracks into 96 kbps mp3s before putting it on the disc. Very disapointing. I can see why a group of older audiophiles would shun this disc.

Regardless, who cares what other people think of your music? Leaav was just jealous because he can't rap like the guy in linkin park.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #94 of 105
Quote:

As a final note warning for other newbies.
Bringing a Linkn Park CD is apparently only slightly less of a faux pas then owning bose
rolleyes.gif

Whew! Good thing I didn't bring my 901s to the meet!
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #95 of 105
Anyone missing an el cheapo surge protector/outlet strip? That was the only thing left in the room after the meet?

I've been listening to the Rudistor for the past few nights, and have been wondering why people thought it sounded like crap at the meet? It sounded fine in my system.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #96 of 105
Here are my belated comments on the meet:

Some time ago I listened to a bunch of Alex’s headphones and thought the HE90 was a clear standout. I heard nothing at the meet to make me change my mind. I also still don’t care for the sound of the Qualia.

The AT DHA3000 was a very nice sounding amp/DAC, although I didn’t hear an A/B between it and anything else.

I could not hear the difference between the two HP2 headphones with their different cables. That’s okay with me, since I own the one with the standard cable. Perhaps a quieter atmosphere would have revealed something.

The M³ had great looks and sound. The only comparison I heard was with Xin’s SuperMacro amp. With the 70 ohm HD25-1 phones the bass had better impact on the M³, which isn’t surprising given its big output devices. These phones boost the bass too much for my tastes but it may have made this difference easier to hear. The little SuperMacro was pretty impressive though to stand up to a comparison like this.

I did some amp comparisons with my 40G iPod as a source, using KSC75 and Beyer DT231 phones. I have many sources at home, but this is the one that use more than any other, either at the office or on walks. All of the tracks I listened to were recorded from CDs using Apple Lossless encoding. The first amp I tried was a META42 type circuit portable amp that I had built, driven from the iPod line out, and it clearly bettered the sound directly from the iPod headphone output. The bass was much better, but overall it had a clarity that the iPod lacked in comparison. Then I tried a couple versions of the SuperMacro amp, and the sound improved further still. Lastly I tried the SR71. It was also very good but a little darker sounding than either SuperMacro (the two SuperMacros had different op amps; one had the OPA604 and the other the OPA627 I believe). I preferred the SuperMacro with this setup, and was impressed enough to order one. I did spend quite a bit of time talking with Xin about this amp, and was very impressed with a lot of design details although I tried not to let this color my evaluation. Xin is a really nice person to talk to, and his amps have come a long way from the little plastic cased micro amps with underpowered supplies and funky digital volume controls.

Unfortunately I arrived a bit late, so my time seemed limited. My thanks also go to the meet organizers, and the preprinted name tags were a nice touch. It was nice to see familiar faces as well as new ones.

Mar 4, 2005 at 2:47 AM Post #97 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by gundam91
I've been listening to the Rudistor for the past few nights, and have been wondering why people thought it sounded like crap at the meet? It sounded fine in my system.

I'm not sure how much a difference a T-connector makes, but I believe when I listened to the Rudistor, you had a t-connector out of your source so that you could hook up the 2000ok HP-100A amp as well. I'd like to hear it again in a non-meet environment. Without the T-connector, of course
600smile.gif

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #98 of 105
Quote:

Anyone missing an el cheapo surge protector/outlet strip? That was the only thing left in the room after the meet?

It's an el cheapo I brought along fully expecting I might wind up donating it if we had too few outlets for all the gear that was coming. As it was, someone else was plugged in along with me at the point when I had to bail out, so I left it behind. Definitely no biggie, use it in good health.

Mar 4, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #99 of 105
Quote:

It didn't sound like crap to me, but it had a crackly sound when reproducing what should have sounded like sibilance.

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:03 AM Post #101 of 105
all these meets , men you don't know how much i envy you

Quote:

Originally Posted by strogg
The K501's really does sound similar (signature-wise, of course) to the HE90... it was scary

strogg and Neil could you please elaborate a bit more.. where the k501 where driven from for sounding so closer to the he90 divinities ?

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:11 AM Post #102 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
please stroog and Neil could you , please, elaborate a bit more.. where to the k501 where driven from for sounding so closer to the he90 divinities ?

as was explained somewhere earlier in this thread... it apparently was a joke. one that I also didn't catch on to... and thought was true until someone pointed it out.
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #103 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
darn!! I was hoping I could sell my HE90 and replace it with a much cheaper K501 setup. anyways... I was expecting as much as do agree that another room for talking would be good to have at meets. wish I heard the magical K501 at the meet that sounded just like the HE90.
biggrin.gif

and me I was starting to look to my k501 with another eye ..
tongue.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 11:25 AM Post #104 of 105
ok, to clear things up:

it was a joke because in a meet-environment, there is a lot of noise, a lot of listeners standing, and enough interference to render poor judgment on almost all equipment there. in this case, the HE90 and the K501's sounded very similar.

on another note, which i shoulda mentioned earlier, all of my comments are raw in nature, meaning that all impressions made there are affected by the meet environment; i did not modify impressions to assume what they'll sound like without the noise and lack of relaxation.

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #105 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by strogg
hehe... well, ok. i only made 2 errors so far
tongue.gif
both fixed

Hey strogg, has anybody said that you looked like this guy?
p1.jpg

IMG_1126.JPG

He's a variety talk show artist from Taiwan.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back