North Star M192 DAC first impressions
Mar 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musiq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my Northstar 192 DAC, still new in box. I got it for a Mac-sourced second system, but think I need an OffRamp I2S for best sound. Any recommendations/alternatives?

If I get the DAC modded, will Northstar still honor the warranty?

I would not bet on it. Getting these repaired, even in warranty can be problematic. The designer is in Italy. I can repair anything that goes wrong with it. I just had one returned for poor solder joints from the factory on the FET's. This is one of the few things that is hand-soldered on it during assembly. No problem fixing it.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I can get this for $720 should I take it?
Can I find a better DAC for that price? (Stello DA100?)

Steve: Have you (or anyone) heard the new NSD Extremo DAC? How does it compare?
That DAC is way to expensive for me, but I'm just curious.

Yes, I have an Extremo here to mod. I have done a lot of mods to it and it still isn't as good as the 192 DAC. Still trying....

Steve N.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alucard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at an internet marketplace and noticed that a Perpetual Technologies P-3A was for sale. At first I didn't care but I saw that it to had an IS2 input. Any comments about the sonical characteristics of this dac? It sold for less than the North Star.

Same DAC chip as the Northstar and DC-coupled. The only difference is the discrete output in the 192 versus the op-amp output in the P-3A. I have a modded demo P-3A for sale BTW, at 30% off.

Steve N.

Mar 31, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any other impressions on the Northstar M192?

My Spoiler DAC review is just about out on 6-moons. They wil talk more about the Northstar 192 in this review.

Steve N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back