Normalise flac on a DAP?
May 7, 2009 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Andrew Jones

100+ Head-Fier
MP3 Gain works well to normalise MP3s for DAP playback. Replaygain in Foobar2000 works well for normalising flac from a PC. Is there any way of normalising flac on a DAP? I have a Vibez and I'm thinking about getting an S9, now that the larger ones are available. If I can't find a way to normalise flac volumes, I'll probably stick to the Vibez for flac (and a S639 for MP3).

May 7, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Replaygain works with flac on DAP's also. Replaygain does not normalise the files, it adds a entry into metadata for the DAP to adjust levels in realtime.

If the DAP supports Replaygain. If not you're looking at a permanent conversion, you can do that in Foobar by telling it to convert to the same format and applying the replaygain during conversion. Kind of a forced attenuation.

It'll work on any player that supports FLAC though.

May 7, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't think the Vibez supports replaygain (which is why I use MP3gain for MP3). If I convert flac to flac and specify replaygain during conversion, won't that just create the meta data (which the files already have so that Foobar plays at a consistent volume)?

May 8, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

If I convert flac to flac and specify replaygain during conversion, won't that just create the meta data

It depends of the conversion settings, you can choose that replaygain should be applied to audio data; however, your audio data will be not so pure and lossless (despite of using lossless codec).

May 9, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends of the conversion settings, you can choose that replaygain should be applied to audio data; however, your audio data will be not so pure and lossless (despite of using lossless codec).

Thanks - I've spotted the comment now in Foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back