normal bias STAX plugged into PRO energizer (after plug modding)?
Jul 22, 2007 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

d.phens

100+ Head-Fier
What's the difference between Pro and normal version of headphones themselves?
As I know, current lambda basic / classic / signature line is 99.5% identical, the only difference is the cable gauge used and leather earpads used for higher models.

Did Stax change the actual headphones at all, as they introduced pro bias or it was just a matter of energizer construction?

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN if I tried to plug normal bias phones into a Pro socket?

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Please consider that I would never drive the headphones to unlistenable levels...

Jul 22, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 7
You would burn up the drivers is the short answer.

The Lambdas as a range are vastly different but the difference is hidden so they might all look the same to the untrained eye. The current series is basically the combination of all previous models in a single lineup but the difference between them isn't huge. The 404 is much better then the 202 but whether it is worth the price hike only you can answer. There are no leather pads on the lambda series though there have been used two types of artificial leather over the years.

The Pro v Normal difference is in the bias voltage and the diaphragm/stator spacing. The Pro standard uses a higher bias voltage so a larger spacing is needed. A normal bias unit should survive being plugged into a Pro socket if the humidity is low and it is still up to spec but increase the volume and they will arc badly, burning holes into the diaphragm. This has been gone over many times before so please use the search function.

Jul 22, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 7
You'd make the diaphragm move several times as much for a given signal voltage and have the diaphragm arc on medium level transients. Unless you happen to be listening to something with a constant amplitude (ie something other than music) I would strongly recommend against it.

In the current line the 202 is actually quite different from the 303 and 404, it has an entirely different driver. The lambda/lamba pro difference is mainly in diaphragm-stator spacing, but you'd need some serious skill to change that yourself as the drivers aren't user serviceable.

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 7
Stator spacing? I think they would require different bias as well for proper performance, but I may be wrong...

Jul 23, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stator spacing? I think they would require different bias as well for proper performance, but I may be wrong...

amazing! in a thread about what happens when you plug an electrostatic with a stator gap designed for 270V bias into a jack with 580V the topic of designs with different stator gap "sizes" is brought up!

carl was talking about that being the difference between the pro and standard models. pro models have larger stator gaps than the standard models to accommodate the higher bias voltages present.

the search button is in the upper right when you scroll to the top of a page.

note: i am not sure i remembered the values for the bias voltage properly. they may be slightly off.

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
note: i am not sure i remembered the values for the bias voltage properly. they may be slightly off.

230v and 580v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back