nOrh speakers & Cerwin-Vega SubWoffer
Oct 13, 2003 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amadeus-mozart

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have a Cerwin-Vega SA-6 Bookshelves with Sub-Woofer Set. Does anyone know how well the SA-6 Subwoofer would work with nOrh 3, 4, or 5.1 speakers. I have a vintage Pioneer SX-1000TW 50w receiver and am soon to have a Fisher 400 Receiver. Would this be enough power to drive them well in a 10 X 12 room?

Thanks,

AM

600smile.gif

Oct 13, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 9
Well, how accurate is the 50W rating? My Outlaw receiver puts out around 65W/channel (average, not peak), and drives my 4.0s to quite acceptable levels, though nowhere near loud enough to throw a block party or anything. The 3.0s should also work fine, not sure about the 5.1s. No idea about the CV sub, never seen or heard one.

Oct 13, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Well, how accurate is the 50W rating? My Outlaw receiver puts out around 65W/channel (average, not peak), and drives my 4.0s to quite acceptable levels, though nowhere near loud enough to throw a block party or anything. The 3.0s should also work fine, not sure about the 5.1s. No idea about the CV sub, never seen or heard one.

Hi dhwilkin,

It should be pretty accurate. It is a mint early '70s Pioneer Receiver rated at 50 watts per channel RMS. I'm waiting to receive a Fisher X-100B Amp. It's a tube unit and puts out 20 to 25 watts. How do you like the norh sound?

Thanks,

Barry
600smile.gif

Jan 7, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin

Hi,

I just ordered a pair of nOrh 3.0s. How do you like the nOrh sound? I've read that the 3s are very close to the 4s in sound.

AM

Jan 7, 2004 at 9:32 PM Post #5 of 9
do you have any info on the sub? a link?

ive never been very fond of cerwin-vega products. the subs i've heard have just been very "boomy" sounding.

try out the dayton 10" 100 watt sub from partsexpress.com. it's one of the few inexpensive subs that sounds clean.

Jan 7, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
do you have any info on the sub? a link?

ive never been very fond of cerwin-vega products. the subs i've heard have just been very "boomy" sounding.

try out the dayton 10" 100 watt sub from partsexpress.com. it's one of the few inexpensive subs that sounds clean.

Hi Princeclassic,

I don't have a link on the SVs. They seem to be generally not liked. The Dayton 10" sub sounds very interesting. Does it come with an amp? Can you change the bass crossover point?

Thanks,

AM

Jan 7, 2004 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by princeclassic
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

has a 100 watt amp and an adjustable low pass crossover.

the clean sound is the result of a sturdy MDF cabinet, nice quality driver, and a solid amp.

it seems that most inexpensive sub makers try to appeal to the people who prefer boomy, bloated sound. cheap cabinets are usually the main problem.

This sub sounds very interesting. I wonder how it compares to the nOrh sub/amp combo. Has anyone heard both?

Thanks,

AM

Jan 8, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

amadeus-mozart said...

I just ordered a pair of nOrh 3.0s. How do you like the nOrh sound? I've read that the 3s are very close to the 4s in sound.

I rather enjoy the 4.0s. In my setup, they have a somewhat warm, punchy sound w/o being harsh. Nice, wide soundstage, though not too much depth. Good for enjoying the music, basically. Hope you enjoy your 3.0s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back