Norelco or Braun?
Sep 19, 2007 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
In conjunction with the shaving thread, I'm wondering who makes the better electric razor - Norelco or Braun? I'm focusing more on their higher end models. I've used foil razors my entire shaving life so I'm wondering how I would adapt to Norelco's rotary type.

Sep 19, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 21
I had been a Braun user for a while when I tried Norelco for a couple years. It took a little while to get used to (seemed a bit more abrasive at first) but then it did a pretty good job. But after 2 years, I got tired of not having a long strip of blades. It seemed inefficient to be moving these tiny circles all over my face, and it seemed like I was missing spots. So I went back to Braun.

And I have to say I miss the Norelco. One of it's best attributes is that instead of scattering whiskers all over your shirt and the sink, it sucks them all up. So unless you're using the beard trimmer, there is no mess. This does require frequent cleaning, but it's easy to just rinse under the faucet. I've also found that the Braun I bought is no more efficient than the Norelco. I still have to attack the whiskers from various angles.

If I had it to do over again, I'd get one of those Norelcos that have concentric rings of blades inside each circle, rather than just one ring per circle (if that makes sense).

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #3 of 21
I have a newer Norelco (one of those multi-ring, multi blade flexing ones). It does to a pretty good job of shaving. But recently I also switched back to blades....can't deny that with my heavy beard, a good blade still gives me the closest shave. But if I'm lazy, I'll use the Norelco. I tend to alternate between blade and electric now.

Sep 19, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 21
Norelco ftw...especially the newer ones that are sealed and you can run under water. They seem to last forever and the blades are interchangeable. Plus, for most Norelcos, you can buy replacement blades at Walgreens. I had a Braun years ago and hated it.

Sep 20, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #5 of 21
The newest model of Norelco Advantage (can squirt out lotion) is a great electric, but the ones that I think are even better are the high end models from Panasonic. Really close shave and very well made. The Panasonic have the straight line blades like the braun but worked much better for me than the braun.

But I still get the best shave from my Merkur double edge razor.

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 21
i had philips/norelco, i had brown, and i always went back to the razors, now im moving to DE, bought a cheap schick razor, if it works out, ill start looking at a merkur

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 21
I use a Panasonic, I believe I paid around $100 for it. It works fairly well. I wish it shaved closer to my skin, but I've got dark facial hair, and light skin, so if I look like I still need to shave, it's not the shaver's fault really.

Oct 2, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 21
I've been using a Philips Norelco 9140 electric shaver for over a year. It was the cheapest model in the SmartTouchXL line that I could find in Canada. All the more expensive models used the same blades/engine, just added more features I didn't need, but if you're in the US you can probably find higher end models for way less than what the 9140 sells for in Canada. As far as I can recall, the SpeedXL and SmartTouchXL blades/engine is the same, but the SmartTouchXL head can pivot to your face while the SpeedXL is fixed in position. I don't know anything about the newer Arcitec line (see Gizmodo for some comments on it).

I shave in less than half the time it took me when using a razor. Sometimes I let my beard grow in for a few days, and the Norelco is great at cutting longer hairs with the trimmer on the back. It comes with a handy portable case for traveling and it's also a lot quieter than some other models. I don't know how loud Braun models are, but I tested a Panasonic in a store before buying the Norelco, and the Panasonic sounded like a jet engine in comparison. Very loud and very fast. I'd be nervous to put it on my face, but that's just me.

Oct 21, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 21
Got a Braun 8995 and it does a great job. I have only tried rotary types a couple times and didn't like it but to be fair thats not much of a chance to get used to it.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i used both philips and braun shavers,

there is NOTHING that compares to good old wetshaving,

Word!
I have owned both Philips and Braun electric razors. But nothing compare to wetshaving with a vintage Gillette Adjustable.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 21
would love to be a 'wet', even bought a nice old cuthroat razor, brush and soap stone but need more practise in order to not leave my sensitive under-neck skin like a beetroot!

but using philips electric now.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nghiasays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a Braun 8995 and it does a great job.

Well I gave in and ordered the Braun 9595 which is their latest and greatest (and most expensive). It's on backorder though so I won't have it for a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will deliver what it promises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back