Nordost Shiva:great little entry level power cord
Jan 17, 2006 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eyeteeth

Headphoneus Supremus
Is a power cord that can be had for $200 used entry level? I think so...generally.

I didn't have a spontaneous, thunder clap of a holy smokes of a revelation, but more of an instantaneous slow smile of recognition and appreciation. Yep the Shiva is just fine. It's not running up against anything particularly great in the Shunyata Diamondback though.

I listened to the Diamondback for awhile using the remastered Dylan's Nashville Skyline specifically 'Tell Me That It Isn't True'. The Diamondback has it sound fairly mechanical with small extraneous artifacts present when listened to very critically. The Shiva had much more ease and flow, no artifacts (I'm not sure of a better word). What told me of it's superiority was that the greater ease and smoothness (I still hate that word!) was joined with much better separation, three dimensionality and, significantly, more low level detail (jargon alert!). Better defined bass as well. This is a success for me, a little more detail with a lot more naturalness and ease.

'Tis an awfully thin cord and I can't help but wonder what improvements the triple 16 gauge Vishnu offers over the triple 18 gauge Shiva for my 200 watts of Class A amplification. Probably just subtle sophistications. I feel destiny calling at any rate.

I do have this psychological bias against Nordost, I think because of the appearance; I expect thin and wiry sound, sterility. I'm wrong again!

This isn't much of a review nor was it intended as one with not much to compare against. It's just a head's up on a great little bargain of a very fine entry level power cord.
smily_headphones1.gif

Shiva_Power.jpg

http://www.nordost.com/Cables/power-shiva.htm

Jan 17, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
They terminate it in UK plugs too?

The best performance comes when connecting the plugs into a PS Audio Power Port, these are only made for US plugs. I modified my whole system with these and bought used US plug power cords from Audiogon, I saved thousands from it!

Edit: Nordost makes the cords with US, UK and EUR plugs. PS Audio makes their power cables only with US plugs.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
'Tis an awfully thin cord and I can't help but wonder what improvements the triple 16 gauge Vishnu offers over the triple 18 gauge Shiva for my 200 watts of Class A amplification. Probably just subtle sophistications. I feel destiny calling at any rate.

I now have a Vishnu enroute and I'll find out what if anything it offers beyond the Shiva.

Nordost is odd but good in that they are bringing out products at much lower prices that eclipse much more expensive previous products. By accounts, Shiva beating El Dorato, Baldur beating Valkyrja. Nice for the little guy.
cool.gif

Jan 18, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
The best performance comes when connecting the plugs into a PS Audio Power Port, these are only made for US plugs. I modified my whole system with these and bought used US plug power cords from Audiogon, I saved thousands from it!

Edit: Nordost makes the cords with US, UK and EUR plugs. PS Audio makes their power cables only with US plugs.

I've heard from various hifi dealers that the US plugs afford a bit more dynamics compared to their UK counterparts?
confused.gif
I assume they're talking about the hospital grade ones.

Jan 21, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Has the Vishnu arrived? I've been waiting to hear your impressions as I am looking into power cords now...

Thanks

Jan 21, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
Has the Vishnu arrived? I've been waiting to hear your impressions as I am looking into power cords now...

Thanks

Vishnu works best for DACs and CD players, you can't go wrong with it if you buy one right now. I have two and love them.
biggrin.gif

Jan 22, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
Vishnu works best for DACs and CD players, you can't go wrong with it if you buy one right now. I have two and love them.
biggrin.gif

I'm sure they work just fine on toasters too. Nothing like a delicious nutritious breakfast to start the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko

Thanks

Evidently it's been sent on UPS' budget burro brigade and was last spotted in MAUMEE, OH, USA.

burro.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back