NorCal Regional, August 25th, 2007 - Impressions
Sep 1, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #151 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Theta power supply could also theoretically be used with the Dynahi.

Actually, it's the "σ22" (sigma22) power supply.

It's not theoretical... I often use my σ22 to power my Dynahi. I made them such that the unbilical connector and pin-assignments are identical. Works very well.

Sep 1, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #152 of 166
I just realized that someone left a CD in my laptop (I never use my drive :p).

The CD is called "cclragnarok Norcal Meet 19" if anyone would like to claim it.

Sep 2, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #154 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by drp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would live with driving this thread to page 12 just to have the opportunity to write that your post made me SOL (spray out loud); caused a reaction that in turn caused light laugh-related moisture to hit my monitor. That image also caused some severe Mad Magazine flashbacks.

Alfred E. Neuman for President.

PS - Now have a hankerin for some Frogresso Soup Hearty Tadpole

LOL, drp! I searched for lame-o and the wacky packages image came up. Couldn't resist. Many funny memories of Mad and Wacky Packs. Sorry for the collateral damage.

Here were a few I saw when looking up others, and these all cracked me up from past history [although posting all the pics would be shameless thread-padding (especially now that we are 2 pages ahead
tongue.gif
)]:

Weakies
Jail-O
6-Up
Crust
Skimpy
Mrs. Klean
Gadzooka
Chock Full
Minute Lice
Horrid Deodorant
Grave Train
Liptorn Soup
Vicejoy
Kook-Aid
Hostage Cupcakes
Mutts Apple Juice
Band-Ache

Good times. Good memories.

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #156 of 166
Ah the man with the other Tube rectified sds-xlr ;p

Sep 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #157 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah the man with the other Tube rectified sds-xlr ;p

With an even more outlandish design in the pipeline
rs1smile.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #158 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just realized that someone left a CD in my laptop (I never use my drive :p).

The CD is called "cclragnarok Norcal Meet 19" if anyone would like to claim it.

So that's where it went.
redface.gif

It's just a random collection of songs I burned for testing stuff at the meet, so I don't need it anymore. Please throw it away or do whatever you want with it.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #159 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Voltron,what tubes and features does your SDS-XLR have?

Quote:

rs1smile.gif

I think I heard a little about your new creation.
wink.gif
Pics of mine are somewhere earlier in this thread and the meet planning thread. It was Sleestack's Accent-T until Mikhail took some liberties with it and turned the single-tube rectified PS into a new beast altogether. It now has 2 rectifiers and 6 regulator tubes. There are separate power switches on the PS to turn on main power (rectifiers), the heaters on the amplifier section, and the plates to ignite the regulators. The regulators can be switched so that 2, 4 or 6 ignite allowing me to change the voltage by rolling regulator tubes or just by switching between was is there. The PS has three Supra transfomers and weighs a ton. The amp required some upgrades as well to handle the higher voltages, so many Black Gates were installed along with other changes. The amp has three XLR inputs, one of which is unswitched as a "reference" section and the other two, along with matching RCAs, are switchable. There is also an XLR pre-amp output.

So far, I have run only OA3 regulators at 150 adn 300 volts, but I have tried 5U4, GZ34 and 6106 rectifiers, all of which change the sound more noticeably than I would have expected. The gain tubes I have tried are 5965s and 6SN7s, with 6BL7GTs for outputs.

I have to try some more tube rolling, and the possibilities are nearly endless, but I also want to get a sense of the amp first. I am very happy with it so far, and will have to figure out some optimal combinations.

Care to share about your future beloved?

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #160 of 166
Quote:

rs1smile.gif

Yeah I heard about you from Mikhail he says you own 14 of his amps!

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #161 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, it's the "σ22" (sigma22) power supply.

It's not theoretical... I often use my σ22 to power my Dynahi. I made them such that the unbilical connector and pin-assignments are identical. Works very well.

Whoops, that's what I get for being outside too long on a 108F afternoon!
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #162 of 166
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a little time with the apple laptop – DAC (??) – WA6 – W5000. I found this to be FUN for one thing, and the sound was fairly well balanced with a nice bass presentation. It is a setup that would be great for setting up a monster play list and let it play. It did not do anything really wrong. I really liked the sound of that WA6. It makes me think about a maxed out one… hide the PayPal button……

I think I had the only similar setup so that was a DA10 DAC.

Sep 3, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #163 of 166
For the new SDS-XLR amp that I'm having built,the power supply is to have a pair of mercury vapour rectifiers,two 421a type regulators,four voltage reference tubes (Mikhail says OA3’s sound the best),the chassis will have an engraved glass panel on the front with all tubes visible.

The amp unit will be able to run 6SN7’s + the other types that can currently be used with adaptors.It will also be able to run 717A’s,27’s,76’s (I hope) and 15E’s.An additional smaller transformer box is also needed to run these.

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #164 of 166
Haha nice. Man if you really have 14 Singlepower amps in an apartment (I hope its a big apartment)... I hope you never have them unning all at the same time or you might bake yourself in the heat.

Sep 3, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #165 of 166
Looks like a cool meet!
Wish I was there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back