Norah Jones - tour impressions
Jan 26, 2003 at 5:57 AM Post #31 of 41
The first track has two areas where her voice distorts, as if she were overloading the mic as she hits a peak.

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:37 AM Post #32 of 41
i am buying this ASAP!

i'm hooked on come away with me.

as far as her voice...

she has incredible control while singing softly. its almost uncanny. she knows exactly what her voice will do at a given volume and makes it her strength.

thats my biggest draw to her. i could care less about the words. i never listen to lyrics anyways.

the band is extremely smooth and knows its role.

i only have this one song but in 256k/s mp3 so its pretty decent. i can already tell this will be a pretty well recorded album. i look forward to playing it (and the rest of the songs) hundreds of times.

Jan 27, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #33 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
The first track has two areas where her voice distorts, as if she were overloading the mic as she hits a peak.

Yep. I hear pops and clicks on some Piano notes as well. I find it strange that kelly hasn't heard it considering his source equipment.
confused.gif

Jan 29, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg

From a purely objective, quality-assessment standpoint (pitch, range, etc.), she has not shown on this CD that she possesses a high-end voice. But mediocrity in that department can be tolerated, if there are other balancing factors, for an overall enjoyable listening experience. Although she can carry a simple tune, I just don't hear anything else to really redeem her basic voice. Or more importantly, catapult her to an esteemable level. I still think she is overated, but I don't lose sleep over it and neither should anyone else. I'm sure Nora doesn't.

Hope that qualifies my viewpoint a little better.

smily_headphones1.gif
[/B]

There's a certain purity in her voice that you don't often hear anymore. She's not a jazz singer, not the least in the traditional style of Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter or Cassandra Wilson. But she's in her early twenties and while her contemporaries (Christina, Mariah and clones) seemed more adept to turning tunes into shows of vocal acrobatics than letting the songs speak volume, her simplicity to me is enthralling.

Jan 29, 2003 at 10:28 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by myke
There's a certain purity in her voice that you don't often hear anymore. She's not a jazz singer, not the least in the traditional style of Sarah Vaughan, Betty Carter or Cassandra Wilson. But she's in her early twenties and while her contemporaries (Christina, Mariah and clones) seemed more adept to turning tunes into shows of vocal acrobatics than letting the songs speak volume, her simplicity to me is enthralling.

Well said.

Jan 29, 2003 at 11:09 AM Post #36 of 41
Actually, she is a jazz singer, she's just not singing jazz here on her first album...which is extremely frustrating
wink.gif

Hey, no one is comparing her to June Christy, Sarah Vaughn, or Ella, though, ok?
wink.gif

I don't know if we'll get another improvisational scat singer like ella again in our lifetime.

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
So guess what I got tickets for today?
smily_headphones1.gif

I am guessing it's the same thing I got tickets for today.
wink.gif

I'll be seeing her July 12 at the Northrup Auditorium in Minneapolis! Never been there before, but it is a smaller venue, so it should be good. 18th row floor seats.

Snow

Jul 16, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Snow
I am guessing it's the same thing I got tickets for today.
wink.gif

I'll be seeing her July 12 at the Northrup Auditorium in Minneapolis! Never been there before, but it is a smaller venue, so it should be good. 18th row floor seats.

Snow

So, the show was this last weekend. Here is the brief review.

They played most (if not all) of the songs off of the album and threw in 5 or 6 other songs. The other songs that they did made for a nice mix. A couple of them were almost blue-grass/Union Station like.

Overall impressions of the show are that is was "Nice".

Good music, played well, but it didn't awe me. She has not really acquired a great stage presence yet.

Worth my $50, and I am glad I went, but I have been to much better concerts.

Snow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back