Noooo my D2000s broke :(
Feb 5, 2012 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ropeadope

100+ Head-Fier
Can't hear anything from the right side. Didn't drop them or anything, I guess it died of natural causes. Anything I can do to maybe get the right side working again without having any advanced technical knowledge? Hope so :frowning2:

These are/were my favorite phones ever. What phones should I try next? I mean, I could just get another pair of D2000s and be happy but I don't want to use the same headphones my whole life. Gotta have some change here and there :)

First thing's first though, any chance I could fix these phones? If not, recommend some new headphones for meh please. Already have an amp (sig). It's old but gets the job done. Probably not powerful enough for some phones.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 14
HE-4s have been recommended to me. Don't they need a big powerful amp though? If that's the case I'll have to go with some other headphones.

Argh sucks to be without good headphones. I want to order something real soon.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 14
The HE-400 would probably be better for you, they were designed to be easy on amps (they say they can be driven out of an iphone but I'm not so sure).  Right now they seem to be having rather severe reliability issues though...

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 14
Well crud. I'm inclined to go with D5000s but I feel like they'll be too similar to the D2000s, which wouldn't be bad but it would sorta be like getting the same headphones. That'd be no fun :)

Thanks for the reply

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Well crud. I'm inclined to go with D5000s but I feel like they'll be too similar to the D2000s, which wouldn't be bad but it would sorta be like getting the same headphones. That'd be no fun :)

Thanks for the reply

I've compared them side-by-side (very very briefly) and they're almost identical. :p  The differences are so minor that you probably won't be able to tell without comparing them side-by-side like that.

Anyway if you really wanted to fix the D2000s you have right now you could always just recable them.  Chances are that the cable broke somewhere...if you solder a new one to the driver it'd probably start working again.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 14
After doing some research the HE-300s look pretty snazzy. The HE-400s seem to be unreliable at this time as mentioned earlier. I hope the same isn't true for the HE-300s. Those are at the top of my list currently. Worth $250? How do they compare to the D2000s? I guess it'd be hard to explain.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 14
I guess it goes without saying, but were the D2000's still under warranty?

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #9 of 14
Denon does have authorized repair centers for both in and out of warranty.

If you love them that much, you should just get them fixed.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 14
Alrighty, something to consider I suppose. Thanks. These phones are about 4 years old.

edit: ah there are no repair places around me. Dang

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #12 of 14
Ah well I hate doing the whole RMA/Warranty send your item somewhere and wait 2 months to get it back process. Plus I'm ready for some new headphones anyways.

The dt990s seem to get a lot of praise despite being ugly :p - Mainly I want some headphones different from the D2000s, but still very enjoyable, in a different way. Something very comfy and something that sounds good with a somewhat low power amp.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 14
The DT990 will have a lot in common with the D2000, despite it being open.

The first D7000 that I sent for repair took two weeks to and from...

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #14 of 14
pick up a soldering  iron take the cup apart and fix the broken lead ... that I bet got vibrated lose also check the "knot" for signs of internal  breakage .. 
if its insulated wire take a lighter and very quickly burn the coating off the very end before resoldering don't let it burn for more then 1/2 a second else you will trash the wire 
either that or you manged to fry a element ... unlikely 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back