Noontec Zoro or V-Moda M-80 or ?
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

withanf

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I am a newbie as a newbie can get when it comes to headphones.  However, I have delved into this site/forum and others quite a bit the past few weeks in order to find my first headphones other than that which comes standard with an mp3 player or phone.

First of all, my budget is $100-$200.  Cheaper would be greater of course.  
I'd like an on-ear headphone, but a cicum-aural set wouldn't be a deal breaker
A closed back would be nice as I will use this primarily on the go.
I'd like to have a detachable cable.
Lastly, my choice of music ranges from Lupe Fiasco, to U2 to Paganini.  So, not extremely bass heavy.

So far, I have looked at the Noontec Zoro and V-moda M-80.  These seemed to fit many of the criteria I'm looking for.  The M-80 is a beast, from many of the reviews I've read.  The Zoro has been spectacular as well.  In one review, the Zoro seemed to "impress more" than the M-80 in highs and mids and that it sounded more neutral and a better all-arounder.  I haven't read any other comparisons between the two so I'd like your advice on how these compare with each other -sound quality-wise.  

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've also looked at the B&W P-3.  Thanks a bunch.

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 6
I too would like to see a comparison between these two. I've heard the Zoro is a very good sounding headphone for it's price, but can it beat the M-80, over twice the cost?

Nov 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 6
The M80 easily wins for quality construction, in fact many Zoro owners (myself included) use the M80 cords on the Zoro (beauty of standards).

Sound wise the Zoro is actually a bit more V shaped I think. It certainly has a bit more bottom end and a bit more treble, it's mids are neutral.

The M80 has more forward mids, less treble and slightly less bass. I would say it is slightly mid centric. The only area I struggle with is the reduced treble (great if treble causes you stress not so great if like sizzle in your music).

I have to say that while the Zoro is more balanced I do notice more grain in it than the M80.

Comfort wise I think they are a wash, isolation I would give by a slight margin to the M80 but they are close in this regard and will be dependent on fit.

Nov 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah, I think the M-80 might be a better choice, at least for me. I think in the future, though, I might order the Zoro just to piss Beats owners off with their superior audio :)

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 6
Based on price I think the Zoro is close to a no brainer. But the M80 is a bice HP too.

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hi All,

I am a newbie as a newbie can get when it comes to headphones.  However, I have delved into this site/forum and others quite a bit the past few weeks in order to find my first headphones other than that which comes standard with an mp3 player or phone.

First of all, my budget is $100-$200.  Cheaper would be greater of course.  
I'd like an on-ear headphone, but a cicum-aural set wouldn't be a deal breaker
A closed back would be nice as I will use this primarily on the go.
I'd like to have a detachable cable.
Lastly, my choice of music ranges from Lupe Fiasco, to U2 to Paganini.  So, not extremely bass heavy.

So far, I have looked at the Noontec Zoro and V-moda M-80.  These seemed to fit many of the criteria I'm looking for.  The M-80 is a beast, from many of the reviews I've read.  The Zoro has been spectacular as well.  In one review, the Zoro seemed to "impress more" than the M-80 in highs and mids and that it sounded more neutral and a better all-arounder.  I haven't read any other comparisons between the two so I'd like your advice on how these compare with each other -sound quality-wise.  

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I've also looked at the B&W P-3.  Thanks a bunch.

this might be a late reply,

i would love some more comparisions between these two as well, i currently have the noontecs and was thinking of moving towards the m-80s myself.

personally i only have the monprice 8320s to compare to.

but to my ears these are very neutral, as tyll in innerfidelity mentioned. initially the bass to me is a bit bass light (due to listening to cheap consumer earphones emphasizing so much on bass nowadays= quality in music). However i have settled now to loving the thumping mid-bass on these things. i think the mids are fantastic on them, vocals are clear, a bit forward, not harsh, (a better word would be aggressive). the highs as stated before are rolled off, its not the best for soulful music, and clarity in that aspect, but its definately not fatiguing at all. 

the comfort on these are okay (however i added a ring of cardboard inside the earpads (to give it more depth) and in effect increase the clamping force on the headband a bit ( hopefully increasing its isolation). Its material doesn't make you sweat if you listen to them for an hour or so. i usually listen to music for longest an 1 hr straight ( i tend to move around a lot).  however if you plan to exercise in them i'd look elsewhere.

the headband is very comfortable and well padded.

the build is below average for me. i baby them a lot. i always put them on an set them down gently with two hands.  the hinges are made of plastic but reinforced with steel (this doesn't reassure me in the least) since the day i got i only folded them twice ( once to see how compact it actually is) the second time was because i was in a rush to pack my things.

also the steelband the runs through the headphone is a very thin metal as apposed to the beats solos which explains why its clamping pressure is minimal (minimizing the isolation) underneath the steel band you'll see when you adjust is made of plastic.( the adjusting area).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back