Noontec RIO, IEM by Noontec
Mar 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:
I would love your opinion on how these compare to the klipsch s4.

I personally am not a fan of heavy base and really sharp highs. Do you think I could tone them down with the built in equalizer on my phone? And also tone up the mids?
They currently available for 40$on woot so I am tempted...

I would say vs the s4, the Rio have more bass, and sharper highs. The s4 also has a bit better instrument separation. But... from what I've found the Rio take to EQing rather well, but it's better to use an actual EQ app, or a dedicated EQ over built in presets with them. As I said before, I feel they're worth the $40, but I still don't really know if I'd be willing to pay full price for them. I mean I've heard worse for $100, but I've also heard some in ears that are quite a bit better. I've also recently seen s4s for around $40 as well. Lastly, if it's purely sound you're after, the MEElectronics A151 are 10 dollars more, and sound a good bit better in my opinion. For $40 bucks though, the Rios would grant a good sounding IEM (with EQing) that are very stylish. 

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:
I would say vs the s4, the Rio have more bass, and sharper highs. The s4 also has a bit better instrument separation. But... from what I've found the Rio take to EQing rather well, but it's better to use an actual EQ app, or a dedicated EQ over built in presets with them. As I said before, I feel they're worth the $40, but I still don't really know if I'd be willing to pay full price for them. I mean I've heard worse for $100, but I've also heard some in ears that are quite a bit better. I've also recently seen s4s for around $40 as well. Lastly, if it's purely sound you're after, the MEElectronics A151 are 10 dollars more, and sound a good bit better in my opinion. For $40 bucks though, the Rios would grant a good sounding IEM (with EQing) that are very stylish. 

Thanks ernestryles. So if I am not a fan of heavy bass, I might as well wait for another $40 S4 deal? The S4 is overall better sound? 
Sounds though basically like you answered my question, there are better sound to be found at this price and since I am not buying these for the style per se, then I should probably wait a little.

Mar 31, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 33
Hey guys, just ordered a pair of these off of 1saleaday.com for $38, I got them after reading this thread. Can anybody report how they feel in the ear, this will be my first pair of IEMS as ive always been skeptical about the fit, i hate when they continually fall out my ears. Thanks in advance, also, as there is no real review for these out there i'll be recording an unboxing video and a review too.

Apr 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:
I would love your opinion on how these compare to the klipsch s4.

I personally am not a fan of heavy base and really sharp highs. Do you think I could tone them down with the built in equalizer on my phone? And also tone up the mids?
They currently available for 40$on woot so I am tempted...

how would you compare them with the klipsch s4s?

no offence but if you don't like heavy bass and sharp highs i think you've been purchasing the wrong headphones
the klipsch s4s are like this and sounds like the rios are the same nu force i haven't had experience with

i think you need to get some more balenced headphones like any of hte etymotic line or if you want something cheap the monoprice 8320 is a good one ( fit issue is problem though) but if you have a bunch of ear tips give it a shot their only 7-10 dollars before shipping after should be about 14$

most consumer targeted headphones are like that... average people can only pick out the bass... then a little more attuned ones can pick out the highs... mids are left forgotten and so they are recessed by default... 

also if you have the iphone i don't believe any of settings of the equalizer would work... because i tried "pop" which raises the middle midss tones down on the bass.. it makes the s4s sound weird the mids are really unnatural.... the bass is fine now that toned it down

i also tried the spoken word.. which i find makes the mids a bit more natural cause it bumps up the higher mids but the treble got bumped up and made it more harsh... the bass was reduced even more than in the pop setting... starting a bit to lack but ok still

then i tried bass reducer... a bit too much reduction in bass, i can deal with but the mids were left untouched.. but this revealed the really unexceptional mids on the s4s which was nothing to write home about... and it made the sound darker, ( i would image the frequency curve is a bit more flat now, but this is problem with neutral headphones... they're usually a bit dark sounding, not as engaging.... on paper it looks good but i think a little more warmth, makes the music more engaging..

just my two cents... sorry for the long post but it sounds like the rios are fairly similar to the s4s, and if so my experiences could help others decide

ps i also wanted to try the rios cause i love the sound of my noontecs but wanted more isolation, and if the rios were that in an EVEN more portable package (iem) i thought what the hell why not... but no reviews soo it made me skeptically to drop more money > noontec zoros

Jul 21, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #26 of 33
I finally got a around to buying them, and I just started listening today.  So far not impressed, especially for any sort of vocals; I'm sensing some slight muffling in the mids.  I agree with the V - shape diagnosis, but so far I'm missing some low bass also.  Maybe they require some burn in?  I'll keep on trucking, we'll see how I stand at the end of this week.

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #27 of 33
So I listened to them more, and was comparing with some other IEMs.  And ugh I dont like the sound of these headphones.  So bad.  Sound very muffled.  In my mind no comparison to Zoros.  Would not recommend.  For whoever asked, get the s4s.  I don't know what noontec was thinking with these.  They are built really well, but the sound man, I can't listen to these anymore.  

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #28 of 33
Hi,

oh dear okay. I made a little different experiences:

I own ZoroHD also. Sure, the Sound of the ZoroHD is greater in overall performance which makes it more comfortable for some kinds of music. The Rios bass is deeper and more present than the Zoros, especially bassy music sounds great, the silicon ear pads (3 different sizes included) fit really really perfect and the comfort while wearing is outstanding! I've never seen such comfortable headphones. The noise cancelling effect is also perfect, Do not wear them in the streets because you cannot hear anything around two inches away from you any more. 

These are my experiences with the Rios. All in all I must say in daily use I prefer the ZoroHD because of the better over all performance and I like On Ears more than In Ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back