Noobie Question: I can't hear any differences in my setup using a headphone amp, do I need it?
May 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gilsont

100+ Head-Fier
Currently I am playing all my music (FLAC, WAV) through my Alienware M11x with Realtek HD Audiocard out to my AKG K551.

For the life of me I can't hear a difference with or without the Fiio E7 in between the Alienware M11x and using the Fiio as a DAC to my K551.

Do I need to go to the ear doctor? Or my setup just don't need the Fiio?

P.S. I recently got my K551 but I had the Fiio E7 for a week now and even with my old JVC Marshmallows I couldn't tell a difference.

May 13, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 6
How do you have the E7 connected to your laptop? Is it via the headphone jack or the USB out?

May 13, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 6
That's weird. My onboard Realtek sounds like complete garbage on my laptop. Bass is weak and sub-bass causes static and crackling at all volume levels. Through my E17 the bass is impactful, clean and layered and the overall musicality becomes energetic and fun. I haven't used the E7 so I can't comment on how it sounds. Maybe your Alienware has a kick ass, built-in DAC already.

May 13, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
That's weird. My onboard Realtek sounds like complete garbage on my laptop. Bass is weak and sub-bass causes static and crackling at all volume levels. Through my E17 the bass is impactful, clean and layered and the overall musicality becomes energetic and fun. I haven't used the E7 so I can't comment on how it sounds. Maybe your Alienware has a kick ass, built-in DAC already.

Or I just don't got the ear of an audiophile :frowning2:

Thanks for your comments!

May 13, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 6
You're welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back