Noobie needs advice on Cmoy build
Jan 3, 2010 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Pageygeeza

100+ Head-Fier
Hi peeps,

I've posted on here a few times already, but now I'm after some information that's been bugging me ever since I found out about "Cmoys". There are a staggering amount of different diy instructions for Cmoys, but I just can't differentiate between them all.

I've made my own Cmoy using these instructions and came up with this:
display.cgi

Though it does a good job of increasing the volume, I can't help but feel it's not good enough. I do also have a CmoyBB as well and love the sound from it.

Now here is the problem: I want to make a 9v low drain portable amp for headphones that range from about 30-40 Ohms. I know there are countless capacitor combinations and would like to know what the optimum selection for components are. I've also noticed that some designs have buffers integrated too, does it have a positive effect on the audio output? I've also found this and like the idea of the eq on it. Has anyone ever made it and is it any good?

Basically I use an 80gb iPod classic and listen to pretty much anything, so it would need to be a great all rounder. I'd love it to sound pretty natural, but maybe include the eq to allow me to mess with the audio whenever the mood takes me.

I can't help but feel I've missed something out.

Thanks in advance people.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:

Do the buffer power pins need to be decoupled with caps if I'm using the TLE2426 virtual ground driver?

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Actually, I've been doing a bit of research and came up with that hand drawn schematic.

It was modified from this.
eq_tilt2.gif

I modified it from this article. This one is a preamp stage to go to a headphone amp. But I want the EQ and headphone amp all in one unit.

The quad amp (LM324) will be decoupled on the supply pins with 10nF caps.

The thing is this, I'm using it for low impedance headphones. So do I really need the buffer and if I do, does it go into the final feedback loop or just on the output?

I'll be using the TLE2426 to split the rails and will be using 2x9v batteries. If I do use the buffers, how long would the batteries roughly last?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really won't let this beat me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 4
Ok, I've now had a mess about using Tina-Ti. The circuit looks good, but I don't think it's really working properly. I've zipped the circuit for anyone to look at.

I'd rather it works in theory so I can order the parts.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back