Noobe Squeezebox question, please
Sep 27, 2008 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PUGSTUB

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I am new to computer music storage and want to know if I use Windows media player will I get a digital signal out for use with a USB connected DAC from the USB output on the computer? Or do I need a sound card that outputs the digital signal? I am thinking I would like to try a squeezebox.
Thanks everybody for any help you can offer.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 10
The Squeezebox does not require a USB/DAC. The device can stream your digital music from your PC either over a wireless LAN or from a direct connection to the LAN port on your PC. You then connect the Squeezebox to your audio system.

Many folks prefer an external DAC to the built-in DAC of the Squeezebox. That is a future upgrade you may wish to make.

Sep 27, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 10
Yes I understand that but if I use an external DAC for superior sonics can I get a digital data stream out of my computer without upgrading my sound card? Does the computer 's USB output digital data with Windows Media Player?

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 10
There's a few questions there.

Your OS will generically output any audio (WMP, your battery low sound warning, YouTube audio, etc.) through your normal USB port. You need to change your Control Panel/Preferences settings to do so, but in most cases basically you connect the USB device and it will usually show up. Some USB DACs (and other ports like Firewire) can use drivers installed to upsample, convert 5.1 audio, etc. On Windows specifically you may want to look into ASIO to get around some OS mixer issues too. So no you don't need to upgrade your audio card or even have an audio card if you're using USB for outboard audio.

The Squeezebox is another option to wirelessly (usually) output audio (and either use the Squeezeboxes DAC or digitally output to another DAC). The Airport Express is another option if you use iTunes. In those cases you don't need an audio card or USB (but would need a network or an ethernet port).

There are some very good USB and/or optical/coaxial (for Squeezebox) DACs out there. In addition the Squeezeboxes internal DAC is nothing to ignore and quite good for the price too. On the optical/coaxial front, you likely already know, but there are some very big bang-for-buck vintage DACs that show up on eBay and Audiogon often.

Apologies if I'm oversimplifying things a bit here. Just trying to cover most of it in case.
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 10
Thanks, everybody. It sounds like I will need a router (and associated network installed) along with the Squeezebox and a good USB DAC for the best performance then, right? Am I forgetting anything?

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 10
Are you trying to setup multiple locations? A USB DAC for near computer and wireless Squeezebox setup when away (as the USB only DAC can't interface with the Squeezebox, though a USB DAC with optical/coaxial ports also can)?

Sep 27, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 10
I was planning on a 2nd computer dedicated to music. From what I understand so far I would need to setup a wireless network and purchase a Squeezebox and a DAC and then route to my stereo system.
I also would like the Squeezebox for internet radio Wi-Fi to my stereo.

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #9 of 10
Sounds good, but you said USB DAC, so I think a few of us are confused by that.

If the DAC is going to plugged directly into the computer than a USB DAC is an option, but if you're going to directly plug it into the Squeezebox it wouldn't (and you'd need a DAC with a coaxial or optical input instead). Just want to make sure we're all clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back