Noob Xbox360 Question
Jul 19, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ats314

New Head-Fier
Could I plug a pair of Senn 595hd's directly into the optical port of my xbox360 using a toslink to 3.5mm converter? If so, would the 360 be powerful enough to drive the headphones? I am not an audiophile, just looking for something that is better than the sound coming out of my tv. I am paying $100 for the 595's, so I don't want to spend too much more on an amp. If i am needing an amp, can someone make a cheap recommendation. I will also be using these headphones from my pc which i will be building soon using a new x-fi card. Will these headphones work being played directly from the x-fi card?
Thanks very much for all the help.
ATS

Jul 20, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 12
Impossible. The optical out is digital. Headphones are analog. You need a DAC between there for it to work.

Jul 20, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 12
I think it is probably designed to plug into an optical input on a receiver. A dac would work as well, but then you'd also need an amp - unless the dac has a headphone out. The cheapest DAC with optical input I know of is probably Zhaolu, but there may be cheaper options around.

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 12
so buying a receiver with a headphone output and optical input is the same as having a dac? why then are some dac's so much more than the receivers that can convert the signal?

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 12
ok, all this makes a lot of sense. Doing some furthur research, i think i figured out that dolby is transmitted at 96khz, meaning that i need a digital to analog conversion rate of atleast 96khz if i am going to use these headphones for mostly 360 gaming. can anyone recommend a cheap reciever that can do this?

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ats314
not to sound like a broken record, but any receiver with an optical input and headphone output will have a built in dac?

Yes it will have a built in DAC.

Jul 20, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 12
it HAS to have a DAC. If it did not, no sound would come out. Even the cheapest cd player has a built in DAC. The laser reads the bumps/flats on the disc which come out as 1 and 0. Those numbers have to be turned into an analog audio signal so you can plug in your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back