Noob wire repair question...
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kaz42

New Head-Fier
First post here, I hope I am in the right spot...

I had a pair of mid-grade headphones (I'll refrain from slamming the company name in here, despite my current feelings) that just died on me last night, after barely 4 months of use. Long story short, the wires leading to the left side speaker were far too short, and the soldering job they did was far too weak, to withstand normal everyday use. I opened up the left side and with NO resistance was able to lift the speaker off and away from the wires.

My question is this - I resoldered the wires to the speaker, and now when the headset is plugged in I am missing channels of audio... HOWEVER, if I pull the plug out slightly (to the point where you would normally miss channels of audio), it sounds perfectly fine. What did I do, and how do I fix it? :p

I can work around this for now by leaving the plug loose in the jack, but I don't know if this is an indication of something that could get worse, or cause the headset to catch fire while I'm wearing it or something. LOL

I don't think this is simply a loose connection when I resoldered it, because I was experiencing this weird loss of channels while I was repairing the headset - I had it plugged in to my iPhone to make sure I at least had a connection. I realized then that I was missing channels, and while fiddling with the plug, I realized that pulling it out a bit made them sound right... I figured there was something wrong with my iPhone jack, since I rarely listen to it with headphones and never with this particular set, and went ahead with the repairs. So basically, I never had it sounding fully right no matter how the wires were connected, unless the plug was loose. I'm baffled, but I am admittedly an amateur here. Thanks in advance for your advice! :)

-Kaz

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 3
First of all, plug the headphones into a different source. That way, you can narrow down the root issue.

If it's the headphones..

It would be helpful to have a picture of the wiring inside the left headphone

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 3
You might want to consider replacing the cable completely if it pops up in other sources. Also, channels are things like left, right, front, back. Are you saying the audio is distorted or the left channel is dropping out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back