Noob-style product requests
Aug 29, 2003 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sledge

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I'm Sledge and I just found this forum after doing some browsing at headphone.com. I'm going to be making a nice little portable system based around a hard drive MP3 player like a Creative Zen NX. Can you give some recommendations on a suitable amp around $200 or less? How about headphones? Are the Etymotic ER series earbuds really that good? I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.

I have some experience with amps and 'phones
280smile.gif
since I already have a Musical Fidelity XCANS V2 and Sennheiser HD600 attached to my stereo.

Aug 29, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi. If you hang around here it could get expensive.
biggrin.gif

I have two DIY amps: a CHA47 and a META42. You could get either in your price range, the META depending on what preferences you have for components. Here are a couple of META42 reviews.

META42 Headphone Amplifier Review

META42 headphone amplifier Review

There are several members here that can make a DIY amp for you that should suit your needs. If you look at my signature rig photo you'll see my two built by JMT. Good luck.

cool.gif

Aug 29, 2003 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 10
That's a nice little setup there. I like the Penguin mints amp. I'll have to be different and use an Altoids tin if I make one of those
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the links. I'll start there.

Aug 29, 2003 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 10
JMT usually builds things much faster than tangent from what i've heard, or you could try tigger at HeadSave... either way, you'll have no problem in getting a good META built for you!

g

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi Sledge, welcome to Head-Fi.

If you're getting the Zen NX, IMO you don't necessarily need an amp for that setup. It doesn't have a line out that the NJB3 does, plus it has plenty of power.

If canalphones are your thing, I recommend getting the Ety 4P's. They sound uber fabulous and really don't need the amp to sound incredible. Plus it's plenty portable. Dependng on your setup and wishlist, to me they outclass the 280's.

I ran them with the first generation Zen and was really, really pleased.

Aug 29, 2003 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 10
Hello will,

The Zen really has enough power? You wouldn't expect that from such a small player.

I'll take a look at the 4P's. I appreciate your help. And thanks for tigger's link, guzzler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back